gas fittings

ChrisPy

Featured Posts

gas pipes and fittings are available in 3/8" and in 10mm, but it seems difficult to procure a complete system in either one or the other. eg Alde bubblers are 10mm but gas taps are 3/8".

does anybody know if 10mm copper tube to EN1057 Table W is compatible with 3/8" compression fittings?

No mate 10mm tube is slightly bigger so wont fit in the unions but you can use 3/8 olives in 10mm fittings, also Alde bubble testers are avalible in all sizes http://www.caravanning-online.co.uk/acatal...-detectors.html ,

I belive it is the norm for boats to use imperial fittings, i did a recent refit to find the previous owner had used a mixture of metric and imperial right pain in the a$%e

Chris

Recently installed an imperial gas main but would add

next time I would use metric fittings.

They are easy to obtain and a dam site cheaper

than being stuck with buying from a marine shop.

Dont know why builders still use imperial !!

Try http://www.bes.ltd.uk They Sell all LPG fittings and Regulators etc

and are cheap

Glenn

Yes i use them but our local caravan shop is resonable so i go there to, did i read somewhere that imperial gas pipe is easier to bend? Imperial is more expensive but thats just the "Marine" and lesuire price hike

Elsewhere on this forum you may have read my disaster with a 'so called' boat qualified CORGI gas fitter. I replaced his very professional entire mishmass of 15mm and 8mm? pipes and joints with a single run of 10mm copper pipe as advised by my BSS inspector. I fitted a 10mm bubble tester in the gas locker with the flexible hose connected directly (although I didn't use the hose connecter version specifically - I ended up with exactly the same set-up) then a single length of 10mm through the various bulkheads (no bulkhead fittings used I just sheathed and grommeted the pipe 'cos I couldnt get the recommended electrical gland to fit) to the appliance on/off tap where I needed an adaptor to reduce the 10mm to fit the cooker armoured hose (8mm if I recall corectly). At risk of repeating myselt the gas system went from 19 joints! down to 5 - and the system passed the BSS.

Hope this helps - if you need to know more about how I did the sheath/grommet thing please feel free to ask.

Tony

Metric fittings are perfectly acceptable for all forms of Gas. Providing it was a "kosher" installation by a competant person there is no reason why it should fail.

Boats are one of the last bastions of "imperial fittings" and yes you can "do" a metric installation for a fraction of the imperial price! :D

Having phoned several chandlers around the Midlands looking for one specific item (10mm gas tap) all, without exception, stocked only imperial and where aghast that I should be using metric fitting. Thus the use of imperial fittings is perpetuated. I was simply following the acvice of my BSS inspector (as previously mentioned) who is a gentleman, boat owner and of the right attitude.

The problem with all this is that there is no attempt at standardisation, as well as metric/ imperial there is also Wade/ Enots types and many more. To confuse things further, the 'standard' taper threads which we call BSP (British standard pipe) is internationally recognised though I have no idea what others call them.

For all my gas fittings I went to a local standard plumbers shop. Mine are all 10mm and they are extremely helpful. I went on recommendation from a chandlery who said they would have everything I needed, and would be cheaper!!!!! :P

For all my gas fittings I went to a local standard plumbers shop. Mine are all 10mm and they are extremely helpful. I went on recommendation from a chandlery who said they would have everything I needed, and would be cheaper!!!!! :P

Your right there Bones, is Imperial pipe easier to work with? there has to be some reason why caravan/boats still use it, (do they still use it?) Metric is much easier to get hold of and as Bones says cheaper