best route

cabinfixer

Featured Posts

Hi all, we will; be collecting our new boat within the next couple of weeks, we will be travelling from Kings Lock Middlewich to Ely Cambridgeshire.

Could anybody advise on the best route so that we can try to avoid any stoppages that might be forthcoming.

Do you think we might be stuck for the winter at a particular spot. I know that some of the stoppages begin on 2nd November, which might make it a bit tight.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks Roger.

Hi all, we will; be collecting our new boat within the next couple of weeks, we will be travelling from Kings Lock Middlewich to Ely Cambridgeshire.

Could anybody advise on the best route so that we can try to avoid any stoppages that might be forthcoming.

Do you think we might be stuck for the winter at a particular spot. I know that some of the stoppages begin on 2nd November, which might make it a bit tight.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks Roger.

hi there

the bw stoppages schedule is out now

Stoppages link

if you use this in conjunction with the route planner on

AC canal planner

then you should be able to sort it out. it should be possible to work out alternative routes if there is likely to be a stoppage.

good luck anyway, and have a nice trip.

cheers

nigel

Whatever you do and whatever route you take just hope and pray that it doesn't rain anywhere near the Nene. The Nene is prone to rise very rapidly and as it is part of the flood defense system the locks may get chained up and even if they don't there are some strong flows. If this happens you might get 'stuck' at Cotton End, Northampton. I suggest that you check with the EA local supervisor, who is fantastically helpful, should it rain heavily (The Ducks or Moomin Papa of this parish will have his number), . Don't forget to book through Standground. Alternatively go via the Wash :lol: Enjoy

Edited by PaddingtonBear

Any help appreciated.

Thanks Roger.

i understand the northampton arm is getting a bit tired, leaky locks and weed. you will need a bw key as the lower locks have anti vandal locks fitted

levels on the nene are low at the moment, over 6 weeks with no real rainfall. you will need an ea key for ALL nene and ouse locks.

middle levels phone tina at stanground on 07824600470 24 hours notice but she is flexible either side of your elected passage time. mrs norton 01954773959 at marmonts priory lock, bit of notice required, we called thru at 4pm from march on a sunday and had no probs getting thru. paul at salters lode 01366382292 great bloke, very helpful. denver sluice o1366382340, all lockies speak to each other though.

outwell creek is full of crap and shallow, novel experience though, no alternative route onto the ouse at the mo. you have the choice of old west from denver to earith - non tidal, or the new bedford or hundred foot - tidal to earith 

great boating and you wont be bored! 

keep your fingers crossed the rain holds off!!

Edited by gazza

Whatever you do and whatever route you take just hope and pray that it doesn't rain anywhere near the Nene. The Nene is prone to rise very rapidly and as it is part of the flood defense system the locks may get chained up and even if they don't there are some strong flows. If this happens you might get 'stuck' at Cotton End, Northampton. I suggest that you check with the EA local supervisor, who is fantastically helpful, should it rain heavily (The Ducks or Moomin Papa of this parish will have his number), . Don't forget to book through Standground. Alternatively go via the Wash :lol: Enjoy

Oh no!

we keep our boat on the nene and as long as it doesn't rain too hard or long you shouldn't have a problem. we've only been flagged off twice in the last 5 years due to high water levels. but as PaddingtonBear says, if you do get caught you can be hung up a few days or even a week or two.

if you want a hand with the northampton flight and on as far as cogenhoe when you come through, give me a call - i'll pm you with my details. i can generally find time, and her ladyship won't let me do locks normally; she makes me drive - so i look like a classic fellow sitting with a mug of yea while his wife bustles around.

like i say - glad to offer some windlass work if you like, as i live in Northampton.

anyhow

all the best with it

nigel

Not forgetting of course that you might have to 'make a level' at Salters Lode and Standground depending on you length/draft. The Rothersthorpe Flight is very easy (narrow), we did them in 3 hours but then we did have Dr Duct with us. I would also suggest that you have a pair of small needle nosed pliers handy to line up the tumblers on some security locks on the Nene Locks but most of all be aware especially if you are going solo, Alnwick of this parish has several tales to tell of his solo travels on the Nene.

Thanks to everyone for your help and advise and thanks to capntommo for his offer. This will be our biggest adventure so far and although a little aprehensive we are looking forward to it.

Thanks to everyone for your help and advise and thanks to capnthommo for his offer. This will be our biggest adventure so far and although a little aprehensive we are looking forward to it.

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase the various BW and EA keys at short notice.

thanks. Roger.

Thanks to everyone for your help and advise and thanks to capntommo for his offer. This will be our biggest adventure so far and although a little aprehensive we are looking forward to it.

Thanks to everyone for your help and advise and thanks to capnthommo for his offer. This will be our biggest adventure so far and although a little aprehensive we are looking forward to it.

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase the various BW and EA keys at short notice.

thanks. Roger.

Hire base at Gayton Junction where you can also buy an EA licence