Sticky threads for advice on different cities?

Odana

Featured Posts

There have been a lot of threads over the cruising season on the lines of 'where's the best place to moor in Birmingham/Manchester/Leicester/XXXX etc. Would it be worth having some of these (maybe combined) as a sticky or a sub-forum in Holidays - one for each commonly-asked-about destination? That way anyone planning to go can browse that first, and new suggestions on moorings/services/pubs/shops etc can get added as we go along.

Any thoughts from ayone else on this?

I'm not on other canally forums, so I haven't seen those, but I see your point. How about a basic pooled mini-guide to various places? Good moorings: XYZ. Bad moorings XYZ. Rumours to ignore XYZ. Places to drink XYZ etc, useful links clickys? This could, of course, replicate some of what people like Martin Clark have done so well - not wanting to step on anyone's toes at all. But it'd at least be a starting point for those about to post 'anyone know where's good to moor in Manchester?' and save the time of the same few who always very patiently respond to the same questions. Happy to start a practice Birmingham one.

Didn't someone suggest something similar for common electrics questions a while back? Or did that cause too much controversy?

Didn't someone suggest something similar for common electrics questions a while back? Or did that cause too much controversy?

Yes I believe Blue String Pudding started it.

She called it the "Argument Thread"

I think the idea, in principal is good, though I believe the rules, concerning all businesses, should be consistent so, if you can't say "Boatbuilder x is rubbish!" you shouldn't be allowed to say "pub y is lousy!"

"Pub y is great, if you love cloudy beer and dessicated carvery food" might be okay, though.

It is difficulty.

I looked at stickying the Birmingham thread, because i do think with the BCN there it isnt always obvious from the map which areas are going to be ok for mooring overnight or leaving the boat despite the fact there are a lot of places you can. Particularly as this had come up a few times recently.

- However outside of the BCN i cant say ive ever really had any problem with knowing where to moor or what have you?