Liverpool Dock Link gets Funding

CanalWalker

Featured Posts

I think it might have been a better (and cheaper) plan to only go as far as Princes Dock rather than digging a channel through what was Georges Dock. I dont think there is that much to be gained by linking to Albert Dock etc.

I hope they bring in a footpath and cycle path along the river front from the pier head down to Stanley Dock. It would be very popular.

on second thoughts it does link up to the marina.

Edited by redstarafloat

the albert dock is not the last dock red,there are more docks past that,quite an expanse of water when you see it .

i will be going back down to see how far the docks stretch,i used to go out sea fishing on a boat fron the coburg dock and that was some distance past the albert.it is twenty yrs and more since i last went further down southwards but i think albert,wapping basin,wapping dock,queens dock,coburg dock(marina) and the final brunswick dock.vast amounts of water space for liesure activities.

The restoration of one of the staircase flights of locks connecting the Bridgewater and Ship Canal is to some extent dependent on the new crossing, it was the original bridge and approach roads that destroyed the locks in the first place.

Not sure about enhancement of the canals, Peel Holdings will always be around when there is a profit to be made.

John to my knowledge the bridge and approach roads did not destroy the locks. The run of locks is still clear although they were filled in thirty odd years ago! The locks fell into disrepair through lack of maintainence and use.

Although I am not certain the locks actually connect to Runcorn docks which connected at one time to the River Weaver without use of the Ship canal.

As you can guess from this info it was where I was brung up.

John T

John to my knowledge the bridge and approach roads did not destroy the locks. The run of locks is still clear although they were filled in thirty odd years ago! The locks fell into disrepair through lack of maintainence and use.

Although I am not certain the locks actually connect to Runcorn docks which connected at one time to the River Weaver without use of the Ship canal.

As you can guess from this info it was where I was brung up.

John T

Hi John.

I am just old enough to have seen the basin at it's original size crammed with so many narrowboats that you could have walked from one side to the other, I was probably no more than 7 years old and it was a Sunday, none of the boats was moving up or down the one remaining flight.

I have been there since on my own boat and I am sure you can still make out the lines of arms that led to the locks now disappearing below the concrete structures at the town end. The two staircase flights are buried though still largely intact.

The Bridgewater of course pre-dates the ship canal by a hundred years or so, it originally dropped into the Mersey latter the canal when that was built. My dad used to tell me that he was surprised to see square rigged sailing ships moored in Runcorn docks between the wars. In fact I have passed through Runcorn on my own boat on the MSC I don't recall seeing much sign of the old docks.

Or is Runcorn on the Western Canal ?

Hi John.

I am just old enough to have seen the basin at it's original size crammed with so many narrowboats that you could have walked from one side to the other, I was probably no more than 7 years old and it was a Sunday, none of the boats was moving up or down the one remaining flight.

I have been there since on my own boat and I am sure you can still make out the lines of arms that led to the locks now disappearing below the concrete structures at the town end. The two staircase flights are buried though still largely intact.

The Bridgewater of course pre-dates the ship canal by a hundred years or so, it originally dropped into the Mersey latter the canal when that was built. My dad used to tell me that he was surprised to see square rigged sailing ships moored in Runcorn docks between the wars. In fact I have passed through Runcorn on my own boat on the MSC I don't recall seeing much sign of the old docks.

Or is Runcorn on the Western Canal ?

Hi John

When you say the old basin i assume you mean the basin that is still there at the end of the canal (it is unchanged in size) in front of the Waterloo hotel (if you watch 'Two pints of lager and a packet of crisps' its used as their local but renamed the Archer) the canal went straight on under the road bridge arch that still remains. I recall thet there were two or three side pounds or basins on the way down and as a child i remember playing on some old wide beam wooden barges that had been left to rot in thes basins.

On the MSC there are two sets of docks near Runcorn (both with lock gates from the MSC) the first ones you come to after the lock into the Weaver are Weston Point docks the entrance was by the church (not sure if the Church is still there)(which could also be reached from the Weaver by turning right just before the lock out of the Weaver into the MSC.

carrying on past these docks, Runcorn docks were about 3/4 mile further on and of course before you get to the bridges.

As I said before the docks were linked by what i thought was a canal, if all of this could be reopened a link from the end of the Bridgewater to the River Weaver would make a further round trip including the Anderton lift without entering the MSC. Although i'm not sure how attractive it would be going through the middle of the ICI works?

Anyway enough rambling for now!

Cheers

JohnT

Hi John.

I am sure you are wrong about the terminal basin being the same size, I am certain it was very much bigger in the working days. The active society that is campaigning for restoration of the locks are also hoping to get the full size basin reinstated.

Was definately unchanged upto last year, as said previously ther were basins down the locks, will check this weekend when i'm in Runcorn.

Hi

to further add to this info check out www.runcornlocks.org.uk

checking this site also reminded me that there were in fact two rows of locks, at the basin at the current end of navigation is the Waterloo Bridge (it says so on it) it has three arches the centre and right arches were the locks and the left arch was a dry dock.

Hands up how many knew that a weaver canal was built and still exists and I understand is navigable, built for The Duke of Bridgewater to connect the bridgewater canal to Weston Point Docks and onto the River Weaver (I Knew it as the Weaver Navigation for for some reason) originally built to connect traffic from the canal to liverpool to supply coal and sandstone from Runcorn Quarries (one of the Liverpool Cathedrals is built with it and would you believe NEW YORK Harbour!!

Suprising what ten minutes on a search engine reveals!!

:rolleyes: I suppose but I enjoyed it!

JohnT

Edited by JohnT

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John.

I am sure you are wrong about the terminal basin being the same size, I am certain it was very much bigger in the working days. The active society that is campaigning for restoration of the locks are also hoping to get the full size basin reinstated.

Hi John

Checked last weekend the the current basin terminal is unchanged from original, although i had taken my camera guess who had not checked the batteries!!

Wandered down to Runcorn Docks and i guess that most of that basin has been filled in, which would have been the basin at the bottom of the original locks, probably this basin that they are hoping to reinstate.

JohnT

• 2 months later...

full sets of the building plans can be had from liverpool city council for a fiver.they are detailed plans of all aspects and are about 3ft by 2ft in size.

i got some just to see what was happening and thought they can go on the living room wall and my kids could follow the project.

i am in the city centre tomorrow and will go see if anything is happening,pics if it is.

also peel holding has some good scousers on board so dont be suprised if they unveil a masterplan after the link.

Edited by gaggle

I might go down to the front tomorrow and see if there is any sign of anything happening. I wonder if the dock link will count as part of the L-L canal or as part of the docks. If it does actually happen it woudl be great to have a big festival and rally down at the docks.

went down to pier head friday but nothing doing yet.

saw jcb breaking ground and thought i had touched lucky to see the very start of the link but it was the start of the new cruise liner berth.

• 2 weeks later...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/gagg...n/LINK20003.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/gagg...n/LINK10002.jpg

got this latest leaflet from bw today.

the work has actually started on the dock that was filled in a couple of years ago,they are now digging out a channel through the infill.

the ground that was broken in the last fortnight to start the cruise liner terminal is the leaflet says an intergral part of the link.

the artists impressions in the leaflet show what is coming.

events ,talks and activities to provide info about the link and to enable you to have your say are planned as the link progresses.

for a copy of the leaflet which has a form attached to enable you to be a volunteer,get involved or attend an liverpool canal link event contact the wigan office or enquiries.northwest@britishwaterways.co.ukLINK20003.jpgLINK10002.jpg

Edited by gaggle

right there red ,you will see trams crossing the mersey itself before you find one on the streets.

the blue fencing right by the liver building is the cruise terminal which will form part of the link,the builders on the sites dont seem to know much.

i have been on to the council planners and building control for info about schedule of work timetable but they refer you on to bw.

we will get there me thinks.

• 1 month later...

bw have now decided to alter the plans slightly and they are causing some discontent amongst the residents of the dockland apartments.

they reckon bw are trying to have some land reclaimed for some future scheme that could mean further apartments.

i am glad to hear that all of the shenanigans will have no affect on the progression of the works schedule.

• 3 weeks later...

further to the above i attended a bw presentation about the link 29/7/06 and was informed that the project is on time.

all the money is in place and it is more or less just the lawyers final paperwork to go.

the works are going out for tender at this time.

further to the above i attended a bw presentation about the link 29/7/06 and was informed that the project is on time.

all the money is in place and it is more or less just the lawyers final paperwork to go.

the works are going out for tender at this time.

Hi Gaggle,

Thanks for the update, get the paperwork out of the way and then the real work should start.

M&P.