Short break in Cheshire

Pete Glynn

Featured Posts

Myself, family and friends are hiring a narrowboat, commencing from Middlewich, leaving early afternoon Mon, returning Friday morning. This is/was/maybe my plan: -

Mon – Collect boat, Middlewich branchof Shropshire Union, overnight Barbridge.

Tue – To Hurleston Junction, onto the Llangollen, to winding hole just after bridge No 22, turning and overnight in Wrenbury.

Wed – Back to Shropshire Union, north to winding hole just before Bunbury Staircase locks, turning and overnight in Calveley.

Thu – Back to Barbridge Junction & Middlewich, overnight & return boat Fri A.M.

BUT, I’m thinking Wrenbury may be too early, not giving us a full enough day, the problem with that is, the next winding hole, according to Nicholsons, is in Whitchurch, which I think is definitely too much, particularly to get back to Bunbury & return to Calveley on the Thursday.

Is there definitely no way of turning between Wrenbury and Whitchurch? The pub at Willeymoor is highly recommended and looks to me about right distance/time wise.

Any and all advice will be very much appreciated.

Pete

Thanks Neil,

Sorry I wasn't clearer, our break isn't imminent, it's not in the school holidays. Have looked at alternatives if my original plan isn't going to work. But to be honest, there's a definite lack of locks on that route. We enjoy locks! Don't forget we're not owners, but occasional hirers. Whilst we fully appreciate a narrowboat/canal holiday is all about a relaxed pace of life, we do want to get value, and use of boat, out of the cost of hire. But thank you for taking the time to reply Neil.

Edited by Pete Glynn

I think this is a sensible trip on a stretch of canal where we moor and know well - you pass several nice pubs and some lovely scenery and some delightful mooring spots.

Another option that wouold take in a bit more of the Llangollen would be a trip that we often do over a few days and that's head for Ellesmere (p32 Nicholson) - the moorings by the Meres are stunning and will be quieter 'off season'.

At Wrenbury I would recommend the 'Cotton Arms' pub - the Dusty Miller is more of a gastro restaurant and the prices reflect this. The Willimore pub is also very good but lunches are 12 - 2 and the grills are promptly turned off then!

I might suggest if you're heading for Chester then head a little further (p110 Nicholsons) and more up in the shadow of Beeston Castle - it's brilliamt and so evocotive a view! There's a turning circle just after Wharton's lock. Be aware of the safety instructions at Beeston Iron Lock and don't let any folk tell you otherwise!

Calveley is a nice enough place - great BW facilities including a famous shower block!

Enjoy one of the nicest stretches of canal on the cut!

Thanks Night Hawk,

My main concern is that the Tuesday section may not be long enough to give us a full day, as I've said before, "whilst we fully appreciate a narrowboat/canal holiday is all about a relaxed pace of life, we do want to get value, and use of boat, out of the cost of hire".

Your thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks for replying

Pete

Thanks Night Hawk,

My main concern is that the Tuesday section may not be long enough to give us a full day, as I've said before, "whilst we fully appreciate a narrowboat/canal holiday is all about a relaxed pace of life, we do want to get value, and use of boat, out of the cost of hire".

Your thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks for replying

Pete

From Hurlston to Wrenbury only takes us around 3 hours (if there's no queues at the lock)...and 20 minutes max to turn around!

Edited by Night Hawk

I wouldn't even contemplate the Llangollen in the school holidays. Go to Chester. Beautuiful city, quiet canal, some nice pubs.

We've just been along the length of the Llangollen - mid August with no real problems. The longest we had to wait at a lock was an hour and that was only once. Plenty of moorings in Llangollen.

The worst jam was at Cholmondley lock on the Middlewich branch - 3 hours! With the breach on the Shroppie at the moment traffic is likely to be heavy along the MB.

I'd go northward myself.

There is definately not anywhere to turn above the Wrenbury hole until you get to Grindley Brook. I agree with the Chester idea - that is a more peaceful choice - especially if the Shroppie breach is still on which will increase traffic on all canals in the Natwich area.

Thanks again Night Hawk

You've confirmed my thoughts. What would be your estimate to crack on to the winding hole just after the Grindley Brook set of locks, turn and return to Willeymoor?

Pete

Grindley brook will add a few hours onto your journey....you may be lucky and shoot thru but with the potential of late season queues and the now repaired leak to the half-way-up pound, it might be an idea to:

1) Take your time and leisurely cruis down most of the Middlewich branch - there are lovely moorings around two thirds of the way down on your right with spectacular views over the valley - if there's space then nip it and have a lazy first evening.

2) Morning - head for Barbridge junction - be aware that it's not as broad as it looks - note the evidence of cracked and broken concrete on the canal wall opposite! They do a nice mixed grill/all day breakfast at the Jolly Tar - decor's a little..erm..tired..but it's a great place to eat and tire the kids. After lunch, burn off a few calories by doing the run from Hurlston to Wrenbury - plenty of moorings either before or after the electric lift bridge - Cotton Arms/Dusty Miller for tea...moorings are safe...watch the pecking of the swans on your hull at ungodly times of the mornings! Fish will start jumping at dusk - it's quite delightful.

3) It's worth a ten minute amble into Wrenbury to the only shop - their cakes are lovely! Cut thru the churchyard back to the canal. Cast off but send your bridge crew off to suss out the liftbridge - take your BW key with you and follow the instructions on the control box! Turn around at the winding hole and you'll be back in Wrenbury within 30 minutes....Just watch that your crew don't say they'll wait by the bridge whilst you go and wind....my crew do this....and nip to the cotton arms for a quick half before returning to the bridge.

4) On turning towards chester, I would seriously go the extra distance and moor up in the shadow of Beeston Castle.....the Shadey Oak.....just be aware of the Iron Lock!

Ellesmere will be a mad dash in hindsight......

Andrew

Thanks very much again Andrew!!

Excellent advice, stopping before Barbridge, is a good suggestion, especially as it's our first day, giving a fuller day to Wrenbury on Tuesday, then going further on than Calveley, will also make for better days Wednesday & Thursday.

Thanks again Andrew.

Pete

I know this area well, and would endorse everything Nighthawk has suggested (except perhaps the Cotton Arms in Wrenbury - depends on whether it has changed hands this week or not). Definately worth going up to Beeston - go down through Wharton lock, turn and come back up to the visitor mooring just above the lock. Nice walk up and round the castle.

I know this area well, and would endorse everything Nighthawk has suggested (except perhaps the Cotton Arms in Wrenbury - depends on whether it has changed hands this week or not). Definately worth going up to Beeston - go down through Wharton lock, turn and come back up to the visitor mooring just above the lock. Nice walk up and round the castle.

Not being too biased, the Cotton arms is run by two friends of mine....son of my old Deputy Head at work - Mention that 'Andrew & Jim and the three boys' recommened this place and I'm sure they'll pull the stops out....Jo and Julie run the place.......Dusty Miller is good but a bit 'gastro' and wouldn't take children and dogs! It would depend if you fancy dressin' up or dressin' down!

Cotton Arms gets our business every time (and there's sure been a lot of them)

I'd agree 100% with Dor, turning just past Wharton Lock, come back up and moor up by those visitor moorings....Worth it. What about taking your National Trust pass (or your credit card) and going into Beeston for a mooch - the view from up there is lovely.....watch the cows if you're cutting thru the field footpath...bit frisky they were last half-term!

Edited by Night Hawk

What about taking your National Trust pass (or your credit card

Except Beeston castle is English Heritage!

Everytime I go to an NT or EH place, when they ask me to join I ask them if they have sorted out their reciprocal arrangement with the other one. When they do I might well join, but I'm not joining two organisations when I might only visit one or two places that belong to one of them in a year.

Apparently they have been discussing it for years, but can't agree. Bearing in mind that a lot of their income comes from peripheral sales I think they are losing out.

Except Beeston castle is English Heritage!

Everytime I go to an NT or EH place, when they ask me to join I ask them if they have sorted out their reciprocal arrangement with the other one. When they do I might well join, but I'm not joining two organisations when I might only visit one or two places that belong to one of them in a year.

Apparently they have been discussing it for years, but can't agree. Bearing in mind that a lot of their income comes from peripheral sales I think they are losing out.

Good for you! Nice walk up the hill though!

Another question Casper Ghost,

Been thinking more about your suggestion. If time permits, and that's a decision to be made on the day, we could crack on to Nantwich on the first day and moor on the moorings between bridges 91 and 92. Are there any pubs within reasonable walking distance?

Thanks again,

Pete