Wood Stain or Primer??

Orca

Featured Posts

I have a nice sheet of hardwood WBP plywood (no voids) and wanted to treat the top face. I can't use varnish as I will be gluing Interdeck non-slip sheeting to it, so either woodstain or yacht primer perhaps?? My existing boards that I will be replacing, have had consistent coats of Danboline on the exposed bottom faces and these have lasted well for 20 years, though the sides are now showing rot.

Edited by Orca

I have a nice sheet of hardwood WBP plywood (no voids) and wanted to treat the top face. I can't use varnish as I will be gluing Interdeck non-slip sheeting to it, so either woodstain or yacht primer perhaps?? My existing boards that I will be replacing, have had consistent coats of Danboline on the exposed bottom faces and these have lasted well for 20 years, though the sides are now showing rot.

By "Interdeck Sheeting" do you mean that grey, diamond pattern rubbery sheet that chandlers sell?

If so, I glued some to our varnished steps about 4 years ago with no problems. No signs of it moving yet.

Richard

By "Interdeck Sheeting" do you mean that grey, diamond pattern rubbery sheet that chandlers sell?

If so, I glued some to our varnished steps about 4 years ago with no problems. No signs of it moving yet.

Richard

Yes, can't remember what it's called - thought it was Interdeck!?? Anyway, from what you say I'll cover the lot in yacht varnish and then glue the non-slip over the top........one anecdote is good enough for me, thanks very much!!

Yes, can't remember what it's called - thought it was Interdeck!?? Anyway, from what you say I'll cover the lot in yacht varnish and then glue the non-slip over the top........one anecdote is good enough for me, thanks very much!!

I vaguely remember that I used the "proper" glue for that stuff when I did it which I think I bought at the same time

Richard