BCN Old Main Line

Michele

Featured Posts

We are planning to cycle from Stourbridge to Tamworth along the cut and would like to use the Old Main Line through to Brum.

We walked it last year but used the New Main Line and didn't notice if you could get from the Netherton Tunnel branch line up onto the Old Man line at the aquaduct.

Does anyone know, please?

:lol:

We are planning to cycle from Stourbridge to Tamworth along the cut and would like to use the Old Main Line through to Brum.

We walked it last year but used the New Main Line and didn't notice if you could get from the Netherton Tunnel branch line up onto the Old Man line at the aquaduct.

As far as I know there's a path just after the aquaduct that leads up to the old main line.

How long did it take you to walk it?

No, you can't - the branch to Netherton tunnel passes under the old main line, but there are no locks at that point to connect the two levels.

Nearest connection between the two is not far away, though. The Gower Branch, which joins the old level near the Brades locks at Brades Hall Junction, (less than a miles detour to go around that way, if you want to sample as much of the old main line as you can).

The Gower branch is interesting because.....

The top two Brades locs are a staircase _ I think the only one on the whole BCN, but I may get corrected.

The bridge that crosses below that staircase (I think) and the bottom lock, must be one of the lowest on the "regular" BCN through routes - a real "chimney off" job on our boat.

I hope I have all my location names correct - I'm doing it from memory, rather than from Nicholson's, that we have just left on the boat.

EDIT:

Bugger!

I should learn to read!

You are on bikes, not in a boat!

Doh! :lol:

Edited by alan_fincher

No, you can't - the branch to Netherton tunnel passes under the old main line, but there are no locks at that point to connect the two levels.

Nearest connection between the two is not far away, though. The Gower Branch, which joins the old level near the Brades locks at Brades Hall Junction, (less than a miles detour to go around that way, if you want to sample as much of the old main line as you can).

The Gower branch is interesting because.....

The top two Brades locs are a staircase _ I think the only one on the whole BCN, but I may get corrected.

The bridge that crosses below that staircase (I think) and the bottom lock, must be one of the lowest on the "regular" BCN through routes - a real "chimney off" job on our boat.

I hope I have all my location names correct - I'm doing it from memory, rather than from Nicholson's, that we have just left on the boat.

EDIT:

Bugger!

I should learn to read!

You are on bikes, not in a boat!

Doh! :lol:

Don't worry Alan, thanks for the advice on The Gower branch....we may change the plan and do it that way anyway as it sounds too interesting to miss.

thanks

Michele

As far as I know there's a path just after the aquaduct that leads up to the old main line.

How long did it take you to walk it?

Thanks Sparrow, perhaps someone else may be able to confirm that for us? Otherwise, Alan has suggested another interesting route for us to take.

When we walked it, we set out from Stourbridge at 7am, had a break for a cuppa at the Malt House in Brum, then another short break at KFC just before the Tyburn pub near Erdington and a pint at a pub some where near Curdworth.....we arrived at my parent's house at 8.40pm. So just over 13 hours - about 11 hours walking I think.

Canal planner said 32 miles - felt more like 132! Hopefully less painful by bike!

Michele

Old Man line - sounds like my kind of canal :lol:

Looking at it on t'internet it would appear that their is a path to the rear of the canalside building:

116209462.jpg

If their is not their are plenty of roads in the area that connect the two canals.

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

Don't worry Alan, thanks for the advice on The Gower branch....we may change the plan and do it that way anyway as it sounds too interesting to miss.

No - keep to your plan of going up onto the Old Main Line. The staircase locks (and low bridge) at Brades are just a few yards off the Old Main Line, so it means just a short detour to see them when you get to the Brades junction. That way you get to see as more of the Old Main Line, which is much more interesting than the straight New Main Line and Gower Branch!

No - keep to your plan of going up onto the Old Main Line. The staircase locks (and low bridge) at Brades are just a few yards off the Old Main Line, so it means just a short detour to see them when you get to the Brades junction. That way you get to see as more of the Old Main Line, which is much more interesting than the straight New Main Line and Gower Branch!

Yeah, good idea. I've heard that the Old Main line is so much more picturesque than the new one. Thanks Martin.

There is.

There is also a useful path up over the tunnel portal that leads into a pub garden/car park. :lol:

Cheers Hairy-Neil.....did someone say pub?