Smokin'

Featured Posts

the smoke magically disappeared and it is running quite sweetly.

In my totally unqualified opinion, leave it alone.

If the valve timing was out then the above would not apply. :lol:

If it ain't broke don't mend it, other than routine maintenance of course.

Finally found the problem - the engine timing was out. I advanced the injector pump about 3 - 4 degrees and the smoke magically disappeared and it is running quite sweetly.

Now for the latest question...A number of people, include a diesel engineer and someone who service injection systems for a living, say that I should leave it as it is but I can't help thinking that if the pump timing was out (I'm assuming due to chain tension being wrong) then won't the valve timing be out as well?

If the chain is incorrectly fitted then you could have incorrect valve timing, however, the engine starts easily, runs sweetly and isn't white smoking (?) so it's hardly likely to be a mis-timed chain as diesels affected quite badly by valve timing problems. If it was a chain tension problem then you might hear the chain slapping (difficult I know above the other noises) and the 1.8 chain has several guides and the auto chain tensioner.

IMO, leave well enough alone and just put it down to the original re-build having been on the retarded side of correct.

Roger