Bridge profile

grandbanks

Featured Posts

Can anyone tell me if there is a profile drawing available for typical canal bridges?

I'd like to know how the available headroom diminishes with the width of the craft. For instance, for a bridge with 8' headroom, what would be the headroom for a 6' wide structure on a boat.

Can anyone tell me if there is a profile drawing available for typical canal bridges?

I'd like to know how the available headroom diminishes with the width of the craft. For instance, for a bridge with 8' headroom, what would be the headroom for a 6' wide structure on a boat.

BW recently carried out a survey of all know pinchpoints and associated dimensions and it may be worth while asking them to see if they can answer your question.

Howard

Edited by howardang

BW recently carried out a survey of all know pinchpoints and associated dimensions and it may be worth while asking them to see if they can answer your question.

Howard

After the fiasco on the K&A ('07 I think), when a large new boat from Bristol tried to pass under a bridge, on the basis of BW's water and air draught specs, I would take such figures with a healthy pinch of salt

I assume you are looking to specify or build a boat that can travel the majority of the network. All canals have one bridge that that is the pinch point but it varies by canal.

If you want to design a "go anywhere" narrowboat you could take a look at the Standedge Tunnel requirements.

If you can fit through there you can go almost anywhere on the canal network from an air draft perspective!

I assume you are looking to specify or build a boat that can travel the majority of the network. All canals have one bridge that that is the pinch point but it varies by canal.

If you want to design a "go anywhere" narrowboat you could take a look at the Standedge Tunnel requirements.

If you can fit through there you can go almost anywhere on the canal network from an air draft perspective!

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. I'm designing an awning frame to go over the open cockpit of my unusual canal cruiser and I want to be sure it will fit through most bridges.