Eberspacher...HELP.......

Bobbybass

Featured Posts

I'm glad you got it sorted. I've had a D5W sitting in the workshop for a few years - not had the courage to install in the boat because of all the negative comments about Ebers on this site. I know this topic has been done to death before now, but, with that joke in mind about "if I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have ..." is there anyone out there who thinks installing an Eber is a good idea?

Philip

Hi Philip

I would and have. Once you get used to its idiosyncrasies its pretty reliable.

They do need a full service/decoke every couple of years, like most boilers - especially diesel ones

Alex

I'm glad you got it sorted. I've had a D5W sitting in the workshop for a few years - not had the courage to install in the boat because of all the negative comments about Ebers on this site. I know this topic has been done to death before now, but, with that joke in mind about "if I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have ..." is there anyone out there who thinks installing an Eber is a good idea?

Philip

Well....mine is just coming up to 13 years continuous use......mine years and previous owners.

It just seems down to maintainance........and getting a grip on how it works.

I also posted that it was pouring smoke...but had some helpful input from people.

The smoke was from where the glowplug had quit and the exhaust was full of diesel.

I was told...'just let it run...it will smoke and sound scarey...for ages...but let it run and burn off'.

The also told me that it would smoke inside the compartment as the diesel soaks into the insulation..right on both counts.

It seems to be OK now...and studying the diagrams ..I think if it finally needs a decoke it will just be a careful dismantle...and make sure you have the right gaskets and service parts first.

My 'theory' on the Eber....only a theory...is that it is a great unit if you are willing to take spanner matters in hand and jump in.

I think it may need a little more understanding (No..I'm not calling anyone dim...I mean...kindness/ TLC ) than some of the more modern units....and if you do that...it will reward with good service.

I had no idea what it did or how it worked when I posted this here...(it ran fine for so long) but I got the manual on a disc...and thought about it...and figured it...and used the information kindly given by folk on here.

In a short time I was improvising tools and discovering that you don't always need to buy exensive parts like meter pumps as they can be reset with a bit of ingenuity. (the little brass integral nut on top they say 'don't ever touch this ' !!)

I was lucky my dad made me take up spanners and figure things...( we used to work on Jaguars....which needed a heap of special/expensive service tools that we made out of spoons...forks..and bits of old tin !!)

I'm not afraid of the Eber.....but if you are less willing and want to spend more time boating than spannering...(good plan really) I think (only think )there are probably easier units on the market.

Thanks again for all those that gave me info.

Bob

Philip

I've now completed the service and unlocked the ECU which had a number of overheat faults logged.

It had been unused for 4 years but now it's been running for 24 hours without any problems .

4 rads and a full tank of hot water in one hour :lol:

I was a member of the 'hate Ebers' club but now I'll reconsider . I think it's a heater that needs regular attention and due to the high charges by the manufacturer this has to be a diy project , however with the excellent U-tube vid and good documentation from Espar.com it was not as difficult as I'd thought it would be.

I recommend getting a 7 day timer with fault diagnostics though . It showed me that I had an overheating problem which was caused by plumbing in a bubble stove. It was not obvious why it was cutting out without the fault display.

• 3 weeks later...
I've now completed the service and unlocked the ECU which had a number of overheat faults logged.

It had been unused for 4 years but now it's been running for 24 hours without any problems .

4 rads and a full tank of hot water in one hour :lol:

I was a member of the 'hate Ebers' club but now I'll reconsider . I think it's a heater that needs regular attention and due to the high charges by the manufacturer this has to be a diy project , however with the excellent U-tube vid and good documentation from Espar.com it was not as difficult as I'd thought it would be.

I recommend getting a 7 day timer with fault diagnostics though . It showed me that I had an overheating problem which was caused by plumbing in a bubble stove. It was not obvious why it was cutting out without the fault display.

Hi - I am looking into getting a new diesel boiler for a boat I am buying - I'm interested in the timer you mention with fault diagnostics - is this something that you can only get for an Eber, or will it work with other units? Also - where would I get one, and how much would this cost?

Many thanks! Ronnie

• 2 weeks later...
Hi - I am looking into getting a new diesel boiler for a boat I am buying - I'm interested in the timer you mention with fault diagnostics - is this something that you can only get for an Eber, or will it work with other units? Also - where would I get one, and how much would this cost?

Many thanks! Ronnie

The timer I bought on Ebay was just for the Eber . It reads the Eber's ECU and gives a fault code showing the reason for failure . It then allows you to reset the ECU if it has locked ( after multiple failures ). Without unlocking the ECU the Eber cannot be restarted so it was necessary to call out a service engineer previously which can get expensive .

• 2 years later...

My d5W is not firing up. The glow plug end of the unit gets hot, but the fuel does not ignite, billoeing unburnt fuel (like white smoke) through the exhaust. I reckon I'm competent to service the unit. Are there any manuals on line showing how to dismantle it?

The links at the start of this topic, and the vids seem to be of a different unit. Mine's a D5W about ten years old.

Thanks

I didnt need an impact driver it was all really easy but for some unknown reason they used lots of different types of bolts :rolleyes: I've only run mine once since last service, better check it. Oh yeah you should really get a gasket set for it first as your very likely to destroy the ones coming off, that said i managed to reuse mine 3 times before actully needing new ones.

My d5W is not firing up. The glow plug end of the unit gets hot, but the fuel does not ignite, billoeing unburnt fuel (like white smoke) through the exhaust. I reckon I'm competent to service the unit. Are there any manuals on line showing how to dismantle it?

The links at the start of this topic, and the vids seem to be of a different unit. Mine's a D5W about ten years old.

Thanks

Hi

Just had a similar problem - see my thread - My link

It probably needs a de-coke and make sure all the filters and exhaust are clean, you must have a clear flow of air through the whole machine for proper combustion.

PM me if you need a copy of the manual.

Alex

I didnt need an impact driver it was all really easy but for some unknown reason they used lots of different types of bolts :rolleyes: I've only run mine once since last service, better check it. Oh yeah you should really get a gasket set for it first as your very likely to destroy the ones coming off, that said i managed to reuse mine 3 times before actully needing new ones.

Trouble is, this video is for the modern Hydronic, not the old D5W that I have.

Anybody know how to wire in the timer unit? The manual I have is in german and that does not help. I think that only 3 wires are needed but to which terminals on the timer unit?

Keith

• 2 weeks later...