Epping Stove/Range repair

Featured Posts

Last year the chimney piece of our Epping cracked - this was an old wound (previously patched up with fire cement) that suddenly got much worse.

We have just removed the offending casting together with the steel chimney and, sadly, the damage is far worse than we at first thought. The cast spigot on the cast top plate has also cracked all round and has been detached for some time. This means that in addition to a new chimney piece, we shall also need a new cast top plate - the latter appears to be attached by four countersunk machine screws which are well seized and will need to be drilled out and replaced.

We would love to hear from anyone who has carried out such a repair or similar. Or is it time to replace the complete stove which seems a bit extreme at around £700 . . .

I'd say it depends on the state the rest of it is in.

The top of my old Tor Gem cracked. When we started looking carefully it soon became obvious that the rest of it was also very thin, although luckily the flue was all right. We gave up on trying to dismantle the stove with tools when Mark got annoyed, grabbed hold of it, and broke it into bits with his hands!

I wouldn't bother with a repair unless the rest is fairly new. We wasted money trying to repair our rayburn and it repaid us by trying to kill us. Smoke and obviously fumes leaked out another part. Your life is worth £700.

Sue

Last year the chimney piece of our Epping cracked - this was an old wound (previously patched up with fire cement) that suddenly got much worse.

We have just removed the offending casting together with the steel chimney and, sadly, the damage is far worse than we at first thought. The cast spigot on the cast top plate has also cracked all round and has been detached for some time. This means that in addition to a new chimney piece, we shall also need a new cast top plate - the latter appears to be attached by four countersunk machine screws which are well seized and will need to be drilled out and replaced.

We would love to hear from anyone who has carried out such a repair or similar. Or is it time to replace the complete stove which seems a bit extreme at around £700 . . .

I repaired a epping top plate where the upstanding that locates the smoke box had cracked right off, i bolted on a flate plate with a new upstand welded on, and the flue hole cut out, you will find a new top plate is very very expensive. cracks can be repaired by cold ark welding with a pure nickel electrode. I dought if you will get the top plate off without drilling or gas cutting out the screws.