The Erewash in a weekend?

larrysanders

Featured Posts

Hi, I've been moored at Sawley for a few years now but never got further than Long Eaton on the Erewash. I was thinking of doing it over a weekend and it looks ok on Canal Planner but I thought I get a few opinions as my crew (my dad) is a bit slow with the old locks... bless him! How long has it taken other members? and where's the best and safest place to moor near Langley Mill?

Thanks! :lol:

its hard work on your own but possible if theres 2 boats all the locks are anti vandel locked

We did it comfortably in three days with just two overnight stops on the Erewash Canal - about halfway up. We couldn't find a mooring at the Langley Mill end and, because of moored boats, had some difficulty winding . . .

We have moored at Langley Mill for something over thirty years. It is possible to travel the whole length of the Erewash in about 6.5 hours, and we have managed this two handed with a pair. Give yourself two days and you will have some free time at Langley Mill, where there is usually space to moor. If moored boats are blocking the winding hole they won't be permanent moorers so get them to move. Sandiacre Lock and above Whitehouse are other moorings we use. Regards, HughC.

From my memories of the local area (we lived in Heanor for some years) I would think that Cotmanhay is not a wise place to moor overnight - though I think there's a boatbuider, Dilnot's, based there. We used to have a walk round Langley Mill Basin from time to time and I remember one boat which, according to its signwriting, was used by a bloke who sold and/ or repaired harmoniums. Is he still there?

I also recall that Peter who ran the boatyard at the basin always displayed a sign saying that he had no red diesel when in fact he usually had some. He told me that this was to deter travellers from trying to buy red diesel for their pikie wagons!

From my memories of the local area (we lived in Heanor for some years) I would think that Cotmanhay is not a wise place to moor overnight - though I think there's a boatbuider, Dilnot's, based there. We used to have a walk round Langley Mill Basin from time to time and I remember one boat which, according to its signwriting, was used by a bloke who sold and/ or repaired harmoniums. Is he still there?

I also recall that Peter who ran the boatyard at the basin always displayed a sign saying that he had no red diesel when in fact he usually had some. He told me that this was to deter travellers from trying to buy red diesel for their pikie wagons!

I've not been at Langley Mill for over a year now but I don't remember seeing the guy/boat re the harmoniums.

I have the phone number if there if you want it PM me and I'll email it back to you.

If you do go there say hi to them all from me :lol:

i've got a river license for the boat... and i have been told by other boaters the erewash even though it's a canal it's covered with a river license... the same as the nottingham canal? officially do i need a temporary canal license... any ideas anyone?

Your river licence covers you for the bottom pound of the Erewash only. Regards, HughC.

We've done the return trip in two days up solo, back, paired up with another boat. There is no comparison between the two! Hard work going up, pleasant trip coming back down. Nuf sed?

Tony.