It's Elderflower time again

Christine

Featured Posts

The Elderflowers are now in blossom. Just as a reminder there are recipes in the link to previous posts here:

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...c=4860&st=0

I have just used the Elderflower Cordial recipe and it's fantastic. The same would cost about £2 for a small bottle in the supermarkets. Try it in Gin & Tonic - nice on a hot day with lots of ice.

Home brew shops, Boots or chemists sell Citric Acid also it's on the home brewing section of Wilkinsons

Not round here, Boots don't sell it, neither did Wilkinsons, HOlland And Barrett, Super Drugs or Robert Dyas. - all of them used to sell it - but have stopped due to the fact that it is also used by heroin users for injecting. I ended up finding some in a great Asian mini shop.

But essentially everywhere else I tried looked at me like I was some kind junkie and quickly told me that they no longer stocked it.

I just had a Google and it does seem to be a problem.

Tartaric acid could also be used (NOT Cream of Tartar) but that too seems to have been taken off the shelves due to being hijacked by Crack users. :lol:

From a web site I found this:

Lemon juice (concentrated if you like) works just as well, citric acid is basically just acid from citrus fruit.

I haven't tried it but may work

I just had a Google and it does seem to be a problem.

Tartaric acid could also be used (NOT Cream of Tartar) but that too seems to have been taken off the shelves due to being hijacked by Crack users. :lol:

Yeah, it's a real shame - but luckily I've found a supply, so Elderflower Cordial will be possible - I made sure i bought quite a bit, just in case a shortage occurs next year!

From a web site I found this:

Lemon juice (concentrated if you like) works just as well, citric acid is basically just acid from citrus fruit.

I haven't tried it but may work

The problem with using a lot of lemon juice, is that it alters the flavour.... - the recipe I use requires 4 lemons zested and cut up, but for the level of citric acid required in the recipe I'd imagine it would need a lot of lemons... I might try it as an alternative though.

This is a good one:

1.8kg sugar

1.2 lits water

2 lemons - zest removed and sliced

20 Flower heads

75g citric acid

Boil water and suger together, pour over other ingredients and leave to infuse for 24hrs, strain and voila!

Mmmmmmmmmm G&T or just fizzy water. Summer is coming.

Should we have an Elder Flower Cordial tasting moot? And then see which alcohol it is best with? Mid summer madness on it's way for sure. :lol::lol:

hahaha, my girlfriend makes a cocktail that comprises of :

Sparkling Wine (or Champagne)

Gin,

Cucumber Slices,

Elderflower Cordial,

(possibly some lime also)

Anyhow, it's nice and refreshing!

• 4 months later...