Safe Mooring in Birmingham

Paul & Julia

Featured Posts

Hi peoples

I am sure that this has been discused endlessly but I haven,t been able to locate an answer with the exception of electric hook-ups.

Travelling South to North on the Birmingham main line are there any "must aviod" areas for moorings (24hr) or any areas where you would particulary aim for. We plan one night-stop in the Gas Street Basin prior to continuing up towards Aldersley Jct. Any opinions much appreciated.

Hi

There are no real problems in mooring in Birmingham, have done so many times I have lost count and have only been untied once.

However head for the centre of Birmingham and you will be amongst plenty of boat.

The best place is to moor by the NIA / Sealife Centre, this is the queitest, if you go on under Broad st to Gas St it can get a bit noisy, esp on a Fri/Sat night with lots of towpath foot traffic.

Happy travels

The BCN is like any other urban canal. There is no specific place that is unsafe to moor but you must use your common sense. Coming from Kings Norton there are secure gated moorings opposite Bourneville railway station, anywhere in Brum city centre is ok but those on the Oozells Street Loop by the Seal Life Centre are particularly safe, being monitored by CCTV and patrolled by guards every 20mins or so. Continuing on the Old Main Line, the New is boring, there is a visitor mooring at the end of the Engine Arm, by the pump house at the top of Titford Locks, outside the Black Country Museum and in Wolverhampton. All these are safe.

If you want to wander off the main line then there are visitor moorings at Ocker Hill, Birchills Top Lock, Sneyd Wharf and Lane Head on the W & E. These are all gated. You can also moor without problems at Walsall Town, Brownhills, Longwood Top Lock and Anglesey Basin. We are at present moored on the stub of the old Bentley Canal on the W & E. How secure it is I'll know tomorrow!

Other secure moorings are Cuckoo Wharf at the bottom of Aston Locks, the Sanitary Station at the top of Camp Hill Locks, Merryhill and at Star City near Salford Junction.

Hi

I endorse the point about mooring near the Sea Life Centre for Central Birmingham - close to Brindleyplace which is full of bars, restaurants etc. You are very close to Symphony Hall and th NIA; if you want to explore the city centre it's only a few mins walk away.

I don't know your cruising schedule or speed but an early start from B'ham should have you at the top of the 21 by late lunch/ early afternoon if you keep going and the flight itself isn't too hard a job. Once at the bottom it's not far to Compton if you're heading toward Stourport (Limekiln Chandlers and the Oddfellows Arms are there) or heading north on the Staffs and Worcs then there's the Fox and Anchor at Coven not too far away from the bottom of the flight. Brewood on the Shroppie is another option - or if you're exhausted, Oxley Marine close to Autherley Junction, may be able to provide overnight safe moorings. I'm familiar with most of the BCN, PM me if I can help further.

Cheers

Dave

Hi

I endorse the point about mooring near the Sea Life Centre for Central Birmingham - close to Brindleyplace which is full of bars, restaurants etc. You are very close to Symphony Hall and th NIA; if you want to explore the city centre it's only a few mins walk away.

I don't know your cruising schedule or speed but an early start from B'ham should have you at the top of the 21 by late lunch/ early afternoon if you keep going and the flight itself isn't too hard a job. Once at the bottom it's not far to Compton if you're heading toward Stourport (Limekiln Chandlers and the Oddfellows Arms are there) or heading north on the Staffs and Worcs then there's the Fox and Anchor at Coven not too far away from the bottom of the flight. Brewood on the Shroppie is another option - or if you're exhausted, Oxley Marine close to Autherley Junction, may be able to provide overnight safe moorings. I'm familiar with most of the BCN, PM me if I can help further.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for the replys and thanks Dave for the offer of further information. We will consider our options and may well be intouch in the near future.