Edinburgh-Glasgow Canal Trip

Twoblokd

Featured Posts

We are considering a family holiday to start at the Falkirk Wheel. Can anyone comment on this route ? With only fifteen locks and the promise of less crowding during the summer, I'm thinking it may be preferable to the popular southern routes. What abourt canal side pubs, water points and pumpouts?

Thank you,

Bill

We are considering a family holiday to start at the Falkirk Wheel. Can anyone comment on this route ? With only fifteen locks and the promise of less crowding during the summer, I'm thinking it may be preferable to the popular southern routes. What abourt canal side pubs, water points and pumpouts?

Thank you,

Bill

It wil certainly be less crowded and you won't need your windlass. BW do all the locks and bridges for you. Some see this as an advantage and some as a disadvantage :-)

Enough canal side pubs and water points. Not a lot of pump out facilites but on a hire boat you shouldn't need them.

Have a look at my (rather old) web site for lots of photos of the Scottish Lowland canals at www.nbgamebird.co.uk

Haggis

Thank you,

Bill

We haven't yet experienced the Forth & Clyde and Union Canals but certainly hope to hire a boat and cruise these waterways at some time in the future. My grandfather was born in Kirkintilloch.

First port of call for you would be the British Waterways Scotland site here:

http://www.scottishcanals.co.uk/

There is a very useful downloadable Skippers Guide on the site which covers both canals and gives you the information you require. Click on Forth and Clyde Canal then from the menu on the left side click boating and you will then see, in the middle of the page:

Download the Forth & Clyde Canal Skippers' Guide

Hope this helps

If you decide to cruise these waterways, I hope you have a great time.

Stewey

I grew up on the Forth and Clyde canal ,Kirkintilloch to be precise.It follows the old Antonine wall,one thing about the Falkirk Wheel,is that its on the Union canal.I never thought id see the canal open after i watched them fill in the monklands canal to make way for the motorway.There is a lot of history around the Canal,i know about Kirkie of course,there is a point on the canal just after the redbrae road bridge,the canl crosses over a railway line and the railway line crosses over a river.

The public moorings at Kirkie are at the place where the old boat yard was,the local foundry used to make the famous Red phone boxes and letter boxes.

il will do the forth and clyde one day,its going to feel strange.