BW licences

boatboss

Featured Posts

The Chesterfield Canal Trust is aquiring ex FMC ex BW historic workboat on lease for 5 years with the intention of refitting and painting in FMC red and green. Using it for canal clearence work, taking our own goods to events and visiting Boat shows. I am getting conflicting stories from BW about what type of licence we need, one says standard the other says business/leisure. Can anyone help please

Boatboss

The Chesterfield Canal Trust is aquiring ex FMC ex BW historic workboat on lease for 5 years with the intention of refitting and painting in FMC red and green. Using it for canal clearence work, taking our own goods to events and visiting Boat shows. I am getting conflicting stories from BW about what type of licence we need, one says standard the other says business/leisure. Can anyone help please

Boatboss

There has been much debate over the various licences available from BW with occasional or casual use as work-boat/cottage industry enterprise, and the various requirements of licencing for Captains. New regulations have opened up the proverbial bucket, and there appears to be right now much talking about what is in fact necessary amongst the various authorities, about what is actually required in terms of Licences for use and waters to be used upon. There have been several conflicting opinions from different parts of BW as to what is needed. Best check with the Historic Narrow Boat Owners Club, David Lowe is the Yorkshire rep., who along with others has been in touch with various 'powers that be'. I can only suggest you nip over to check out what the score is to date.

http://www.hnboc.org.uk/

Derek

Boatboss

You have a pm.

Tony.

Boatboss

Unless things have changed since I parted with Alton, a low intensity business licence costs the same as a standard pleasure licence so go for the former to be safe.

George ex nb Alton retired

Hi,

if it's any help, I represent the Herefordshire & Gloucestershre Canal trust, we have an icebreaking tug "Renton" on 5yr lease from BW and have just licenced it on a business/leisure licence with 60% charitable discount and 10% historic discount. This makes it a bit cheaper than a standard leisure licence. We are currently working on the boat to bring it up to a decent standard for use as a promotional vessel for the Trust until we can get it onto our canal to use as a workboat. When it is up to standard we will have to supply details of it's "educational activities" to get the charitable discount. We did ask for extra discount as BW still own the boat but the computer said no!

Caroline H&GCT

Hi,

if it's any help, I represent the Herefordshire & Gloucestershre Canal trust, we have an icebreaking tug "Renton" on 5yr lease from BW and have just licenced it on a business/leisure licence with 60% charitable discount and 10% historic discount. This makes it a bit cheaper than a standard leisure licence. We are currently working on the boat to bring it up to a decent standard for use as a promotional vessel for the Trust until we can get it onto our canal to use as a workboat. When it is up to standard we will have to supply details of it's "educational activities" to get the charitable discount. We did ask for extra discount as BW still own the boat but the computer said no!

Caroline H&GCT

I often found that I had to specially ask for discounts as the BW computer seemed to have a bad memory every year when it came to renewal time:-)

George ex nb Alton retired