MV Wincham Scrapped

Featured Posts

I have known about this for some weeks now and personally feel sad and bitter about the way things developed. For some time during 2003 and4 I was part of the group that worked on her and she was in full working order.

The Wincham was owned and preserved by The Wincham Preservation Society which was part of the Friends of the Maritime Museum and was financially supported by National Museums Liverpool. A dispute developed between the Friends and the Museum over the direction of the museum's policy which resulted in the disbandment of the Friends and now puts into question the future of The Preservation Society.

The scrapping of Wincham seemed to be rushed and kept very quiet and there is still mystery over the whether it was the only alternative

Norman

Edited by norman.r

I have known about this for some weeks now and personally feel sad and bitter about the way things developed. For some time during 2003 and4 I was part of the group that worked on her and she was in full working order.

The Wincham was owned and preserved by The Wincham Preservation Society which was part of the Friends of the Maritime Museum and was financially supported by National Museums Liverpool. A dispute developed between the Friends and the Museum over the direction of the museum's policy which resulted in the disbandment of the Friends and now puts into question the future of The Preservation Society.

The scrapping of Wincham seemed to be rushed and kept very quiet and there is still mystery over the whether it was the only alternative

Norman

Rumour has it that the ‘Wincham’ wasn’t in that bad a condition at all.

We have an old riveted barge and its easy to get a surveyor who is not in tune with the older boat. We spoke to one guy who surveyed ships who thought that we were mad to be looking at a boat that was riveted because that meant that it was so old that it would be bound to be knackered! We had another who reckoned it would only take him about 3 hours to do the survey! Our looking around paid off and we found a surveyor who had great experience with barges and understood the needs of historic boats.

Rumour has it that the ‘Wincham’ wasn’t in that bad a condition at all.

I'm told there was some fairly serious localised pitting around the top of the rounded chine, which did need attention. I didn't see it but it does rather sound like the sort of thing which might be the result of badly installed electrics somewhere.

It was all fixeable though rumour again has it that the surveyor was being rather particular about how it should be dealt with.

It's all very strange and sad, there were allegedly offers to buy the vessel 'as and where lying' on the slip but there seems to have been indecent haste about the scrapping decision and no interest in reversing it.

Tim