paint! Whats best?

Dibbo

Featured Posts

I konw someone who swears by Crown gloss paint. "No need to buy that expensive stuff from the chandelry" says he. His boat doesn't look too bad, but that is probably because he has to repaint it every year or so.

A repaint every year or so? The gloss on the front of mine is 4 yrs old and still ok. So if i repaint every 4 yrs and it dont cost the earth. Sounds Ok by me.

I konw someone who swears by Crown gloss paint. "No need to buy that expensive stuff from the chandelry" says he. His boat doesn't look too bad, but that is probably because he has to repaint it every year or so.

Quite .

Which particular ones would you use from their range, Phil?

Pro - Extra Monarch. Could only be American wit a name like that !

I think that both your work and that of Phil Speight is brilliant, but I will still contuinue to have any work done on my boat by Ron Hough, who I have known for more than 40 years, It is less precise than your work, but it still reminds me of the old Blue Line boats in the 1960's. I just love that Barlows lettering and script.

So you should . Ron is a dear friend of mine and I will always bow to his eminence in our field of work.

I have learnt much from him that has helped me to understand my own profession better - and he is one of the nicest people I have ever met. When we have occasion to repaint a boat with his decoration on the doors and so on I leave it alone - anyone else`s gets repainted. ( The question of what I would do with either Tony Lewery`s work or Dave`s has not arisen - but , condition allowing, I guess the same would apply).

Edited by Phil Speight

Hi all

I agree with the 2 pack for longevity comment. Resolute was initially painted in 2 pack from new and the dark blue cabin sides are still looking good 9 years later. The downsides are that it's less easy to apply and much more of a problem to touch up; which is why the blue main panels are the only remaining 2 pack paint. Everything else is synthetic enamel, a mix of Craftmaster, Masons or whatever we have in the dock at the time at the yard (Norton Canes Boatbuilders) of an approprite colour.

Paint choice is highly subjective, even amongst the professionals. Over the last month I've had high praise from one coach painter for Phil's new formula Craftmaster paint, while another thought it less good than the original...it's horses for courses in many respects and depends on factors such as the quality of finish required, skill of the painter, time available and conditions that you are working in. The flawless finishes achieved by professionals working indoors in controlled conditions are less likely outdoors. And don't forget that 90% of the finished job is down to preparation...banging the paint on isthe relativly easy part!! Good brushes too...I'll vote for Purdys.

Cheers

Dave

The barge we are fitting out has Jotun polyurethene 2 pack on the topsides and will need touching up or a complete recoat on completion. Trouble is it was sprayed on and I dont think thats practical for me but I am told this product is very difficult to apply by brush.

I would appreciate any advice, therefore, as to a suitable alternative 2 pack polyurethene product/brand that can be brushed.

Edited by Phoenix_V

The barge we are fitting out has Jotun polyurethene 2 pack on the topsides and will need touching up or a complete recoat on completion. Trouble is it was sprayed on and I dont think thats practical for me but I am told this product is very difficult to apply by brush.

I would appreciate any advice, therefore, as to a suitable alternative 2 pack polyurethene product/brand that can be brushed.

bump

anyone?

when i eventually swap my plastic boat for a narrowboat,i will paint my boat using 2 pack primer,base coat and 2 pack laquer

why?? i paint cars for a living and those are the materials that i am used to.

Ill have to come up one day and do one of phils courses on coach painting :lol:

bump

anyone?

sorry pheonix,i cant help you with that one