Window fixings

Featured Posts

Need to fix curtains to narrow boat soon and undecided what method to use to hold back the bottom of the curtain so that it lies flush with the lining.

I've seen wooden rails that go over the top of the curtain and go across the entire window, the curtain just slides behind the rail.

Any idea if you can buy these?

Any suggestions to alternative methods?

Was perhaps thinking about the net curtain white rail type of fixings along the bottom of the curtain?

Hi Stuart.

You see lots of different ideas, I have tried most of them. The best and the one I have settled on is the use of a wooden pole six inches from the bottom, broom handles are quite good nicely stained and polished, a stable straight grain.

But the trick is to 'hang it'. Fit 60mm length of 20mm brass chain at each end, cut the chain so you leave a staple at one end, drill 2 blind holes 30mm from each end of the pole and 'Araldite' the chains into place in the holes. At the other ends fix the chains with brass screws and cup washers.

The weight of the pole keeps the curtains neatly tucked into the cabin side, people don't get hooked up on them and they are strong enough to lean on.

Brass fiddle rails are also a possibility, although you run the risk of getting brass polish on your curtains. A friends boat had them, and they looked rather nice.

Our boat has wooden rails, made from dowelling (about 7mm IIRC), with a simple wooden bracket at each end.

Best version Ive seen and Ive actually used it on mine after seeing it, is to have identical rails on top and bottom of windows. The person who made my curtains then put rufflette tape on both the top and bottom of the curtains. They then fix to the rails by curtain eyes, not hooks, that thread onto the poles.

This way the curtains hang parrallel with the side of the boat and slide on both rails with no tucking them into to the bottom rail

Works a treat