Reading to Brentford

jakub

Featured Posts

Hi all,

Any ideas how long might it take to take the boat down the Thames on this route?

Can anyone recommend any nice places to stop over night on the Thames?

The Thames is tidal as from Teddington - what are the implications of this - i.e. are there any specific times we need to turn up at Teddington lock etc?

Thank you.

Jakub

Edited by jakub

Hi all,

Any ideas how long might it take to take the boat down the Thames on this route?

Can anyone recommend any nice places to stop over night on the Thames?

The Thames is tidal as from Teddington - what are the implications of this - i.e. are there any specific times we need to turn up at Teddington lock etc?

Thank you.

Jakub

We generally do the trip over two days to get from Teddongton To Reading to make the best use of the short term licenses but it is a beautiful section of River that you shouldn't rush if you don't need to.

Windsor is an excellent place to spend an evening/lunchtime, Hampton Court Palace is well worth a visit.

Henley is nice if you can get a mooring - have always been disapopinte at Marlow - not sure why, the pubs are just not my style.

Teddington Lock works 24 hours but Brentford doesn't - your departure from Teddington will depend on the tides!

Tim

We once left Reading at midday on saturday, aiming to catch the tide around midday sunday. It involved doing 13 locks manually out of hours. We arrived late, by my calculations, half an hour after high water. However, I failed to realise that tide timetables are always in GMT. Being on BST meant we were 1/2 an hour in hand.

Windsor is an excellent place to spend an evening/lunchtime, Hampton Court Palace is well worth a visit.

The island where the railway crosses is nice and quiet - and you might not get charged by the leisure centre

Henley is nice if you can get a mooring - have always been disapopinte at Marlow - not sure why, the pubs are just not my style.

Moor above Henly (between the lock and the bridge there are some rings) near the rowing museum instead of on the meadows below the bridge where you will definately be charged....

Teddington Lock works 24 hours but Brentford doesn't - your departure from Teddington will depend on the tides!

Tim

And somewhere BW publish a London Lock opening times leaflet that can be downloaded.

The Teddington Lock Keepers will suggest you leave when the tide turns.

Last trip down with the butty breasted we went through about an hour before HW, and ended up only making about half a knot progress for about 20 mins where the river narrows near Richmond. We we in no hurry and the sight seeing was in the plan - the first HW leavers from Teddington still got into Brentford before us :lol:

Simon.