Travelpower tech questions

Timleech

Featured Posts

I've just received an ex-vehicle Travelpower kit bought via ebay.

It's 110V output, with a black 'magic box'.

The main cable has been cut off at the alternator end, all the wires are black, some might have coding numbers but not clear at the moment. Any clues on identifying which is which for reconnecting?

It's had some sort of engine governor override incorporated, any idea how this was done? There are two 'spare' cables coming out of the unit, one is 4-core & the other 7-core, I guess one was for connection to the 12 Volt system & the other for the governor control, any clues??

I gather Electrolux/Dometic/whatevertheyarecalledthisweek don't deal with these any more, what is the point of contact these days for trying to get support from the makers or their successors?

Last, I have a little inverter welding set, which self-selects between 110V & 230V supply, can I expect to be able to run this from the Travelpower?

Many thanks for any help.

Tim

Last, I have a little inverter welding set, which self-selects between 110V & 230V supply, can I expect to be able to run this from the Travelpower?

Tim

Don't know about first bit but the cable will have numbered cores.

Answer to second question, I've got one and needs about 6kva, if on 110v you need a 32amp supply.

Andrew

I've just received an ex-vehicle Travelpower kit bought via ebay.

It's 110V output, with a black 'magic box'.

The main cable has been cut off at the alternator end, all the wires are black, some might have coding numbers but not clear at the moment. Any clues on identifying which is which for reconnecting?

It's had some sort of engine governor override incorporated, any idea how this was done? There are two 'spare' cables coming out of the unit, one is 4-core & the other 7-core, I guess one was for connection to the 12 Volt system & the other for the governor control, any clues??

I gather Electrolux/Dometic/whatevertheyarecalledthisweek don't deal with these any more, what is the point of contact these days for trying to get support from the makers or their successors?

Tim

Relevant pages from standard 12v /240v version insallation sheets, which may be of some help.

http://www.tuesdaynightclub.co.uk/Stuffima...elpower/tp1.jpg

http://www.tuesdaynightclub.co.uk/Stuffima...elpower/tp2.jpg

http://www.tuesdaynightclub.co.uk/Stuffima...elpower/tp3.jpg

AFIACR and as Andrew said, the black wires in the shrouded cable to the alternator have numbers written on the outside of the wires.

I can't check as Earnest is a long way away!

I have on several occasions used my 16A 240v inverter welder from the Travelpower. It cut out a few times, especially if the rod got welded on!....I also welded on the steelwork of the boat and did not bu&&er anything...I suppose that means my earthing is OK / earthing is not OK / lucky :lol:

There are five wires to the alternator. Two for the field, and three phase wires. There may also be an earth wire but not all of them have that.

Open the black box up.

Trace through the wires, three of them go directly to one or two big bridge rectifers bolted to the case. Those are your phase wires. It doesn't matter which way round they go.

The remaining two are for the field. The black box requires a DC power feed which the later silver one doesn't.

You might be able to find a pin-out diagram on the net somewhere but I'd disregard that if I was you as I've seen them wired up with three different configurations.

Gibbo

Don't know about first bit but the cable will have numbered cores.

Answer to second question, I've got one and needs about 6kva, if on 110v you need a 32amp supply.

Andrew

Thanks for that, I was more concerned about either the Travelpower box or just possibly the welder box not likeing working together, than about the output being sufficient, it would only be for odd jobs and I can temper the wind to the shorn lamb to some degree.

My welder gives reduced output anyway on 110V input, about 90A welding current IIRC.

Tim

There are five wires to the alternator. Two for the field, and three phase wires. There may also be an earth wire but not all of them have that.

Open the black box up.

Trace through the wires, three of them go directly to one or two big bridge rectifers bolted to the case. Those are your phase wires. It doesn't matter which way round they go.

The remaining two are for the field. The black box requires a DC power feed which the later silver one doesn't.

You might be able to find a pin-out diagram on the net somewhere but I'd disregard that if I was you as I've seen them wired up with three different configurations.

Gibbo

Many thanks for that. Any clues on the other bits?

Cheers

Tim

Many thanks for that. Any clues on the other bits?

Noting with any certainty. The output from the Travelpower is a lovely clean sinewave so that won't cause any problems.

The output is a centre tapped earth. That shouldn't cause any problems unless the welder does something odd with it.

The output mosfets in the blacn box Travelpower are absolutely enormous. About 10 times bigger than they need to be and the peak current rating on that unit (not the later silver one) is huge so it may well work it because the welder will be very intermittent.

You can but try it and see.

Gibbo

Noting with any certainty. The output from the Travelpower is a lovely clean sinewave so that won't cause any problems.

The output is a centre tapped earth. That shouldn't cause any problems unless the welder does something odd with it.

The output mosfets in the blacn box Travelpower are absolutely enormous. About 10 times bigger than they need to be and the peak current rating on that unit (not the later silver one) is huge so it may well work it because the welder will be very intermittent.

You can but try it and see.

Gibbo

Thanks again.

The welder works fine on both 100V CT earth and 240v earthed neutral, I've sawn the locating peg off the yellow 16A plug it came with so that it'll go into a 240V blue socket, quite happy either way. Yes, I know it draws more than 16A on 110V but that's what it came with (ex-hire) :lol:

The Travelpower rating plate says 30A output, which ought to be enough for little welding jobs.

I've now realised that the throttle/governor override is a separate item, I've emailed the seller in case he still has the 'other end' available, assuming it's an electromechanical device & not something superslick which taps into the vehicle's ECU.

It's a VDO/Kienzle VK1000 Electronic Hand Throttle, a quick google search doesn't come up with anything relevant.

Tim

Edited by Timleech