Easter, boat museum ? boatless!

down the north

Featured Posts

Hi all,

A long shot,

but not currently owning a boat since 1981, ( Anne ) ( thats my street credibility bit over, but it doesnt mean I cant steer) ,,,, is there anyone out there whose got a 70 foot narrowboat, ( FMC, GU, LMS , TC ( Oldbury ) what have you ), that you'd fancy lending for a trip to Ellesmere Port this Easter. Either 1 way or return. Headlight , noisy exhaust, decent stern strapping dollies essential, and a working cabin range so I can get the Fray Bentos pies on the go..

I'll provide all red diesel that I use, and am mindful of treasured and 'delicate' engines , but prefer twin Listers ( they can take it ).

Midlands based in Stafford, I'm not planning to start from the River Lee, :lol: but T&Mersey, SU, BCN, S&W, Just GU, Cov,,

would be a good starting point.

If you've a boat for sale, what better than a moving advert to assist, you can rest assured the can will be in the right place,

thanks,

Martin

Hi all,

A long shot,

but not currently owning a boat since 1981, ( Anne ) ( thats my street credibility bit over, but it doesnt mean I cant steer) ,,,, is there anyone out there whose got a 70 foot narrowboat, ( FMC, GU, LMS , TC ( Oldbury ) what have you ), that you'd fancy lending for a trip to Ellesmere Port this Easter. Either 1 way or return. Headlight , noisy exhaust, decent stern strapping dollies essential, and a working cabin range so I can get the Fray Bentos pies on the go..

I'll provide all red diesel that I use, and am mindful of treasured and 'delicate' engines , but prefer twin Listers ( they can take it ).

Midlands based in Stafford, I'm not planning to start from the River Lee, :lol: but T&Mersey, SU, BCN, S&W, Just GU, Cov,,

would be a good starting point.

If you've a boat for sale, what better than a moving advert to assist, you can rest assured the can will be in the right place,

thanks,

Martin

are you looking to buying a boat sometime in the future? mike

There are good number of members in the Narrow Boat Trust who are in a similar position but they don't see themselves as boatless as they crew and skipper Nuneaton and Brighton around the system and currently do two coal runs per year supplying customers on the Thames. New members are inducted in the use of the boats and those with experience of steering or are ambitious in this direction, are assessed, encouraged and helped to get formal qualifications to become a skipper and be responsible for the boats and the crew. Some members who owned and ran working boats 30 years ago have found that in starting again today, they have to get these qualifications to continue as this former experience isn't enough to satisfy the stringent insurance agreements and boating regulations that dog most waterway organisations today.

Most of this year's movements have already been claimed by active members as onboard accommodation and facilities are limited and overmanning is to be avoided if nicely meshing teamwork is to be achieved. Everyone who wants to go boating gets to do it - some clocking up as much as month or more, spread over a whole season.

Nuneaton will be heading to Ellesmere Port this Easter while Brighton remains at Buckby being cossetted by workparties.

www.narrowboattrust.org.uk

DSCF3866.jpg

There are good number of members in the Narrow Boat Trust who are in a similar position but they don't see themselves as boatless as they crew and skipper Nuneaton and Brighton around the system and currently do two coal runs per year supplying customers on the Thames. New members are inducted in the use of the boats and those with experience of steering or are ambitious in this direction, are assessed, encouraged and helped to get formal qualifications to become a skipper and be responsible for the boats and the crew. Some members who owned and ran working boats 30 years ago have found that in starting again today, they have to get these qualifications to continue as this former experience isn't enough to satisfy the stringent insurance agreements and boating regulations that dog most waterway organisations today.

Most of this year's movements have already been claimed by active members as onboard accommodation and facilities are limited and overmanning is to be avoided if nicely meshing teamwork is to be achieved. Everyone who wants to go boating gets to do it - some clocking up as much as month or more, spread over a whole season.

Nuneaton will be heading to Ellesmere Port this Easter while Brighton remains at Buckby being cossetted by workparties.

DSCF3866.jpg

DSCF3866.jpg

Roger, Liam,

many thanks for the info and offer, I havent given up yet, I'll have to dig a little deeper. I'd certainly be interested to know who does the assessing of potental skippers ,who have been boating for 30 years. Obvious names come to mind,

thanks

martin