Blacking The Bilge

Featured Posts

Simple question: Is it a good idea to black the inner bilge? On my boat any ingress of water or spillage seems always to gravitate towards the bilge area where my batteries and alternator are located. Therefore, I assume the bilge is on a slight gradient. Would it be a good idea to black this area as well as any other bilge area you can get at with a small brush? Anyone ever tried it?

Simple question: Is it a good idea to black the inner bilge? On my boat any ingress of water or spillage seems always to gravitate towards the bilge area where my batteries and alternator are located. Therefore, I assume the bilge is on a slight gradient. Would it be a good idea to black this area as well as any other bilge area you can get at with a small brush? Anyone ever tried it?

The inner bilges under my cabin floor are done in black bitumen. They were "as new" after five years when I had to lift the floor recently. The engine hole (semi-trad stern) is done in white bilge paint from Screwfix. This has worn well but is ready for another coat.

My boat has been on dry dock for at least 3 years before I bought it. It had a lot of water in the bilges during that time but the bilge water was pretty oily and the bottom plating is still O.K. I've blacked all the base externally and can get at the engine bilge area internally. The rest of the bilge is pretty much out of reach due to fitting work that's been done by the former owner.

However, bilge water tends to gravitate towards the engine bilge. I could black that area, I guess, if it gets dry enough to do. Just a small brush and a steady hand.

What puzzles me a little is how much water ever gets into the centre or bow bilges? Maybe none?

The inner bilges under my cabin floor are done in black bitumen. They were "as new" after five years when I had to lift the floor recently. The engine hole (semi-trad stern) is done in white bilge paint from Screwfix. This has worn well but is ready for another coat.