Air Draft on River Lee

Scotty D

Featured Posts

Hello all,

Looks like I've got the boat, survey tomorrow, and Haulage next week. It's coming from Norfolk so ideally Stanstead abbotts is the place to crane in.

One worry; the air draft is estimated at 6'10 to 7' on this Bourne 35 Broads Cruiser (1966 GRP hull).

SO, will it make it down that stretch of canal to Hackney marshes where it will be safe from there.

I know the BW figures ar 6'9". Has anyone brought a 7' draft boat down that stretch?

Would love to hear peoples thoughts as this is potentially an expensive mistake to make!

Scotty

I don't think you'll have any problems.

Nicholsons lists two bridges up at the Hertford end as being under 7 feet, at normal levels, but says all others are a minimum of 7ft 9ins.

So unless water levels are unusually high, you should be well within limits.

Alan

p.s. There ARE some nasty low ones on the Stort, though.

Snip

p.s. There ARE some nasty low ones on the Stort, though.

How nasty is nasty? Can I get away with ducking (my head)?

Are there any depth marks for the water level that we should look out for or is it a simple case of approach each bridge with more care than normal?

You will be fine. As mentioned, the Stort (the railway bridge adjacent to Roydon railway station and the one in Harlow) are very low - BUT my solar panels on tilting frames still fit under with a couple of inches clearance. No idea what my air draft (including these) is. I saw a couple of BW workers last week and they reckoned water levels are about ok after the floods we had. I'm planning to escape London up that way for a week two as I've just about finished my latest project.

There are lotsa stoppages in Hackney though, not been down the towpath as far as Springfield for a fortnight, but it might be very busy as a result and I've seen plenty of patrol notices on boats that have recently arrived here - that usually gives you a clue about how busy it is in Hackney.

How nasty is nasty? Can I get away with ducking (my head)?

Not sure, we didn't get far enough to do the very lowest (Kecksey's Rail Bridge.)

The rail bridge at Roydon is pretty low.

A definite "front chimney off" and steerer crouching.

The one just below Burnt Mill Lock is pretty low too.

Mind you, we carry less ballast than many, so our cabin front, (or more accurately chimney collar), is higher than many boats.

Are there any depth marks for the water level that we should look out for or is it a simple case of approach each bridge with more care than normal?

I didn't see anything, but the rail bridge we did does shout warning bells at you as you approach. A definite feeling of "this is going to be tight.

Since then, I'm sure we have managed to find, (and navigate) a lower bridge on the BCN, though.

Hello all,

Looks like I've got the boat, survey tomorrow, and Haulage next week. It's coming from Norfolk so ideally Stanstead abbotts is the place to crane in.

One worry; the air draft is estimated at 6'10 to 7' on this Bourne 35 Broads Cruiser (1966 GRP hull).

SO, will it make it down that stretch of canal to Hackney marshes where it will be safe from there.

I know the BW figures ar 6'9". Has anyone brought a 7' draft boat down that stretch?

Would love to hear peoples thoughts as this is potentially an expensive mistake to make!

Scotty

:lol:

Not what I personally would have recommended knowing the L&S pretty well. The BW air draft figures are there for a reason based on many years of water/flood management. Just hope you don't get stuck and I also hope you find space to moor amongst the other xxx hundred continuous shuffle up and downers on a river only licence amongst all the visitors, boat club members, permanent moorers , big steel freight barges (loads more expected shortly following opening of Prescott Lock next month) etc. Hey ho, hope it works out for you whatever.

Best of luck,

D

If you are finding things a bit tight here is a couple of easily workable ideas for getting the boat lower in the water:

Invite a large number of people on board

or

Fill some cheap plastic dustbins with water

Edited by WJM