N.B. Trilby

Trilby Tim

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, PD1964 said:

Looking good, are you putting any small anodes on the clams to lesson galvanic corrosion?

Yes, I did this time, 2 pairs on each clamshell. They were the last job and I did them at 8pm the night before it was due to be re-floated so didn't take any photos!

• 5 weeks later...

I may regret finding this thread... currently rebuilding a boat, thinking about rudder design (amongst other things) and wanting to optimise for manouverability, as i'm seriously going to miss the nimbleness of my current boat's Enfield outdrive. I took a "proper boater" (lives on an ex-carrying NB, likes to talk about roses and castles etc) out on it last weekend and baffled them with things like steering in reverse.

A fair chunk of my job is doing CFD/sim stuff, i'll have a browse of your repo and see whether I can get it to give meaningful results. We may be missing a fair few sampling points/inputs to get a clear model, but we shall see. Massive respect for building it in the first place, and great that it got 10 years of service 

19 minutes ago, harrybsmith said:

I may regret finding this thread... currently rebuilding a boat, thinking about rudder design (amongst other things) and wanting to optimise for manouverability, as i'm seriously going to miss the nimbleness of my current boat's Enfield outdrive. I took a "proper boater" (lives on an ex-carrying NB, likes to talk about roses and castles etc) out on it last weekend and baffled them with things like steering in reverse.

A fair chunk of my job is doing CFD/sim stuff, i'll have a browse of your repo and see whether I can get it to give meaningful results. We may be missing a fair few sampling points/inputs to get a clear model, but we shall see. Massive respect for building it in the first place, and great that it got 10 years of service 

A Schilling rudder is much simpler and cheaper (and easy to retrofit) and like the Kitchen rudder gives improved manoeuvrability compared to a flat plate rudder, certainly when going ahead, including acting as a stern thruster (sideways thrust only). But it probably doesn't give as much steering effect when going astern as a Kitchen rudder.

Edited by IanD

On 03/11/2022 at 15:28, harrybsmith said:

I'm currently going from Thorne to Sheffield, so if you want to have a look at it you could come and meet me somewhere along the route (or in Sheffield when I get there).