Boat Builders - Good bad or Ugly?

firebug

Featured Posts

Hi all,

Im new to the forum and am hoping to buy a widebeam canal baot in the near future. The trouble is Im a real BW virgin (so to speak!).

I have seen a lot of nice boats by builders such as Liverpool boat and Norwich Boat Company. Im trying to find out whos good out there and more importantly whos bad.

If you could compare builder to car manafacturers, who would they be?

Who would be Bently, Jag, BMW, VW, Ford, Fiat and Lada?

Hope you can give me an insight.. Hope to be waving at you on the water soon!

I think that might have been "Northwich" rather than "Norwich" Boat Company?

Liverpool Boats used to be good (around Ford quality but great value) but they are now in a state of flux. You will probably find that lots of us post replies recommending our own boats! I won't start that trend; I will say that there is one builder who makes very handsome-looking wide beam craft who is no stranger to this forum. Look out for him.

I have met one or two ugly boatbuilders but I shan't be naming them either.

Edited by Athy

Hi all,

Im new to the forum and am hoping to buy a widebeam canal baot in the near future. The trouble is Im a real BW virgin (so to speak!).

I have seen a lot of nice boats by builders such as Liverpool boat and Norwich Boat Company. Im trying to find out whos good out there and more importantly whos bad.

If you could compare builder to car manafacturers, who would they be?

Who would be Bently, Jag, BMW, VW, Ford, Fiat and Lada?

Hope you can give me an insight.. Hope to be waving at you on the water soon!

This has been done to death on several occaisions.

Put "tug stle narrow boat" into the search option and have a look at the thread started by davidandheather.

That was a very informative thread which flushed out some good opinions from some acknowledged experts (and others).

It will occupy you for hours. Happy reading and welcome.

This has been done to death on several occaisions.

Put "tug stle narrow boat" into the search option and have a look at the thread started by davidandheather.

That was a very informative thread which flushed out some good opinions from some acknowledged experts (and others).

It will occupy you for hours. Happy reading and welcome.

And we still not got a tug never will at this rate just keep the one we got

David

Thanks for the reply :lol:

You are right I did mean Northwich Boat Company.. Fingers go faster than the brain!

Has anyone had any dealings with Northwich Boat?

Wondering what they are like and what quality of build thy provide, Their website looks very basic and doenst give much away about the boat spec which concerns me slightly.

I know you cant make judgement on a website, but I do feel it can be a reflection of the business itself.

Anyway enough waffle.. Are they any good?

Thanks again!

Thanks for the reply :lol:

You are right I did mean Northwich Boat Company.. Fingers go faster than the brain!

Has anyone had any dealings with Northwich Boat?

Wondering what they are like and what quality of build thy provide, Their website looks very basic and doenst give much away about the boat spec which concerns me slightly.

I know you cant make judgement on a website, but I do feel it can be a reflection of the business itself.

Anyway enough waffle.. Are they any good?

Thanks again!

I have one moored near me. I think the owner who lives aboard is satisfied with it. I'll speak to him and confirm this.

I suppose one thing worth considering is are you looking for a boat builder or boat fitter?

There is rather a lot of difference one builds the other is often very much a project manager!

My advice is do plenty research and don't base a decision purely on price alone, the boatbuilding game is not good at the moment and will probably only get worse, to drum up orders the tendancy seems to be increasingly heading towards quote a cheap price to secure a deposit and order and then to worry about what can be built for that amount of money when it comes to it.

That's not to say that the current market can't be used to your advantage to secure some flexibility both in cost and specification if you work with the builder.

Edited by Gary Peacock

Thanks Andy.. I look forward to your findings,

Thanks again

Make sure you have somewhere to keep it BEFORE you buy a boat. If you intend living on/in it get a residential; mooring and remember that you have no security. If the marina owner doesn't like you he can ask you to leave. If you can sort that enjoy. :lol:

Sue