keels

johnthebridge

Featured Posts

A friend of mine has a Humber keel in Ireland. He bought her directly from Victor Waddington some years ago, and shipped her over. She didn't have a name then, but evidently VW thought she might have been the "Oritan", one of the boats engaged on the shipment of hides to a local tannery, and which all carried the "tan" suffix. Even this was not thought to be her original name. Although it's a pretty vain hope, is there anyone out there who perhaps could shed any further light on this for me please?

I'd also like to get hold of a book that relates to this subject. I've tried the usual sources, to no avail. It's called, "Victor Waddington, giant of the South Yorkshire Waterways", in paperback only apparently. I've even written to the author, but he cannot help.

Anybody?

I'd also like to get hold of a book that relates to this subject. I've tried the usual sources, to no avail. It's called, "Victor Waddington, giant of the South Yorkshire Waterways", in paperback only apparently. I've even written to the author, but he cannot help.

Anybody?

I've got a copy, but that's not much help.

I will have a plough through my Yorkshire waterways books (mostly written by Mike Taylor, author of the VW book), though, to see if I can dig out any info about Oritan.

Edited by carlt

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Carl, I hadn't seen your earlier posts about this. She probably is/was Orotan, so I'll pass this info on to my Irish mate. Good stuff-thanks. Still like to get the book for him if poss.

I'll keep my eyes open but I got mine in Holland and it doesn't seem to ever pop up on my book search results so it must be pretty scarce.

It was published by the Yorkshire Waterways Publications, 27 Summerfield road, Dronfield, Sheffield, S18 6GZ, so it might be worth asking them, though that might be Mike Taylor's own publishing company.

I'll keep my eyes open but I got mine in Holland and it doesn't seem to ever pop up on my book search results so it must be pretty scarce.

It was published by the Yorkshire Waterways Publications, 27 Summerfield road, Dronfield, Sheffield, S18 6GZ, so it might be worth asking them, though that might be Mike Taylor's own publishing company.

I've done that, and I've also spoken to Mike Tayor on the 'phone-all to no avail. I think that there weren't that many copies printed anyway-it's a fairly esoteric subject. My Irish mate has done me so many favours, I'd just like to repay him in some way! Thank you, anyway.

Thanks again Carl. Does she tie there permanently? I've forwarded these to my Irish mate-hope you don't mind?

Not at all, that's why I posted them.

I didn't speak to anyone (I was being dragged towards sandcastle territory) so I'm not sure if she is there permanently.

• 4 years later...

resurrecting a very old topic - I have a copy of this book if anyone is still interested. I am selling it to raise funds for The Chesterfield Canal Trust and because it is such a scarce book I can find nothing to guide me on value so I wonder if CarlT can help? It is in excellent condition

28148_10151491971724070_1848324994_n.jpg

• 1 month later...

Join the Sailing Barge Research Society and the opportunity arises for long weekend and weeks sails on Keels Sloops and Thames Barges. I have enjoyed several of them as part of my research into the working of the Droitwich Salt Trows When I write enjoy a severe gale off Gt Yarmouth on Pudge was a bit testing and I hurried back to Canals..

Apologies for top-posting but it doesn't seem to want me to type below the quote.

I'm afraid I can't help on value because it doesn't crop up for sale very often which makes it worth whatever someone is willing to pay.

I wouldn't pay the £45 that the Amazon seller is looking for at the moment but someone may do.

That said I wouldn't sell one of my 2 copies for £45 either so maybe it is worth it.

resurrecting a very old topic - I have a copy of this book if anyone is still interested. I am selling it to raise funds for The Chesterfield Canal Trust and because it is such a scarce book I can find nothing to guide me on value so I wonder if CarlT can help? It is in excellent condition