Tidal Thames

sbillis

Featured Posts

Autumn is upon us and it time to turn attention to next years two week cruise. What I am thinkiing of is a circuit from Blisworth down the GU and Regents Canal to Limehouse then up the Thames to Oxford, Napton and home. I appreciate that the trip will take longer than 3 weeks so prior to the event I will move the boat down to Hemel or Watford.

The trip includes the tidal Thames section through central London and was wondering if any other forum members had done this section and if so what advice can kindly be passed to me ?

Simon

NB Bulrush

Simon

we did the trip two years ago, a little advance planning can make the trip a great experience.

get hold of the tide tables for next year and choose a tide time that will let you out of limehouse early, 8am (ish) on a saturday. you will then avoid the commuter boats that run down to grenwich and the trip boats from the embankment do not start until 10 am so you will well clear of them. (as i said this was 2 years ago so worth checking still valid!!). we arranged to go in company with another boat and keep an eye on each other in case of trouble (something round the prop etc). st pancres cruising club do a good guide to the ring and we also used "The River Thames Book" by Chris Cove Smith which we found excellent. If you are in company with another boat give then one of your cameras and then you get photos of your boat passing the sights. Canal engine speed was sufficient for 7-8 mph over the ground and we got to richmond barrier to early and had to wait 40 mins for the barrier to open, to tight to pay for the lock, but i understand the lock is now free of charge.

Its a wonderful experience and we are going back next year for a re-run to take in the bits we missed.

Havent got the tide tables yet as the admiralty have stopped free postings on the web (except for 7 days in advance) so have to either pay or wait for the PLA to post on their site in January

As the lock keeper said to us, he had sent hundreds of narrowboats out onto the tideway and hadnt lost one - yet!!

HTH

Paul M

Hi Simon,

We did the Grand Circle this year and had a great time. According to Canal Planner your route is 277 miles, 174 locks and should take approx. 120 hours.

The lockies at Limehouse were very helpful giving good advice and also a bridge layout/diagram for passing through the correct arches.

We left Limehouse at 3 p.m. so met quite a few trip boats but they tend to stay out of your way. When meeting the wake of the larger boats I found it best to turn and meet the wake at right angles to reduce rolling, that is if you have enough room.

The tideway got much quieter after Westminister and it gave the chance for a good run up to Brentford where the lock was open ready for us. We went up with 2 other boats so we kept an eye on each other.

If you have a cratch cover it would be best to use it but I don't and blocked up the front ventilator (temporarily) to prevent water getting into the cabin.

Ensure you have your anchor ready to use just in case and wear a lifejacket.

It certainly was a great experience.

The cheapest diesel we found was at 4 All Marine just below Penton Hook Island.

Very good shopping in Banbury right beside the canal.

Enjoy.

Colin

You can get London Bridge tide tables at www.portoflondon.co.uk All the 2005 dates are already there.

Make sure you have at least two people who can steer, as otherwise you have to stand at the tiller for several hours. Others can bring you coffee, but there are certain things that you might need to do (especially if they have been bringing you coffee!) that they can't do for you.

You'll probably go up with the tide as it comes in, but if you should be out on the river when the tide is going down, don't get too close to the banks. I once spent five hours on the mud outside the Millenium Dome waiting for the next tide, because I tried to cut a corner. Fortunately the mud is flat there, and so is the bottom of my narrowboat, so we had a meal and watched the sun go down.