HELP! My Dutch Kabola oil regulator settings are wrong

Clive A

Featured Posts

Hi, new to diesel stoves, and have managed to screw up (pun intended).

Got a new boat with a Dutch Kabola with a regulator so gunked up I had to completely dismantle and flush every component. I now have a clean flow of diesel, and a better understanding of how it works. My problem is that during the disassembly I removed the adjustment screws which I have since found are factory set.

Can anyone help in setting up correctly? (e.g. so many turns back from fully in).

Also, what do these screws do? What are the effects of incorrect settings?

Your thanks in this matter,

Clive

Do not now if this is any help to you

http://www.kabola.nl/handleidingen/Engels/OD&OEEN.pdf

if thats no help you could try talking to mike at lockgate the regulater looks the same as his stoves

Lockgate Ltd

The Old Iron Warehouse

The Wharf

Shardlow

DE72 2GH

Tel: 01332 799 317

Fax: 01332 799 378

Got a new boat with a Dutch Kabola with a regulator so gunked up I had to completely dismantle and flush every component. I now have a clean flow of diesel, and a better understanding of how it works. My problem is that during the disassembly I removed the adjustment screws which I have since found are factory set.

Can anyone help in setting up correctly? (e.g. so many turns back from fully in).

Clive

The screws I think you are referring to are the minimum and maximum flow rates that the main regulator will work between. They are usually set by the amount of fuel over time. Unless you can find out what the flow rates are and can measure and adjust them then you can only do it by trial and error. If you set both in roughly the mid position, fire and warm up the burner and while the main regulator is fully open, fine adjust the flame to the maximum clean burn. The minimum low flame is a little more tricky and requires the main regulator set at minimum and then maintain a good low flame with the fine adjuster.

Clive

Clive

we have had an old dutch on board for 8 years now, and apart from the occasional new "window" and an occasional fsd thermocouple(buy a universal lpg thermocouple from the local plumb centre) have had no trouble with the stove. I think that Kuranda at Whaley bridge have a rig to set up the valve if you can get it to them, a neighbor of ours drove his up there and they did it while he waited,(made an appointment first!). We havnt had cause to touch ours at all. They ar great stoves like all diesel stoves they are a bit "touchy feely" what setting is good for a blue flame on one day will not be right for all days due to differences in air/fuel temp and wind speed. cleanliness of the burner pot is critical and use the scraper every day. if the o ring in the scraper fails and starts to leak remove the inner part of the scraper, small brass nut at the back, and wind ptfe tape round and round to make a new o ring when its re inserted, this is what kuranda do as the rubber ring is not available from holland as a seperate item.

HTH

Paul M

I had one on here just replaced with solid fuel.

Unfortunately Kuranda keep the flow information for the stoves they sell to themselves!

For my Sig stove I got the flow info from Sigmarine but Kuranda or Kabola wouldnt tell me the flow info when I wanted to convert them both to 28sec oil! Hence the reason I now have solid fuel!

Afraid about the only thing you can do is send the regulator back to Kuranda and get them to recalibrate it.

J

The screws I think you are referring to are the minimum and maximum flow rates that the main regulator will work between. They are usually set by the amount of fuel over time. Unless you can find out what the flow rates are and can measure and adjust them then you can only do it by trial and error. If you set both in roughly the mid position, fire and warm up the burner and while the main regulator is fully open, fine adjust the flame to the maximum clean burn. The minimum low flame is a little more tricky and requires the main regulator set at minimum and then maintain a good low flame with the fine adjuster.

It's not really that difficult, I've done it many times on Rayburns without having to calibrate the flow rate and they do give the figures and it is better because you can adjust for local conditions, and readjust if not quite right.