Stoke

Jayseaess

Featured Posts

Hi

Planning our weeks trip in November avoiding winter stoppages and thinking of heading south from Elton Moss towards Stoke?

What are the moorings like in and around Stoke?

Any recommended pubs or places to visit on route?

Thanks

Nigel

In Stoke itself have moored several times at Westport Lake which is very quiet but a distinct lack of pubs, in fact I don't think I've ever stopped at a pub in the Centre of Stoke except for the beefeater type one at Festival Park.

If you stop before Harecastle Tunnel the Blue Bell at Kidsgrove is a real ale Mecca - I highly recommend it.

The Romping Donkey at Hassall Green is worth a visit.

Don't forget the Caldon - my favourite canal!

Tim

In Stoke itself have moored several times at Westport Lake which is very quiet but a distinct lack of pubs, in fact I don't think I've ever stopped at a pub in the Centre of Stoke except for the beefeater type one at Festival Park.

If you stop before Harecastle Tunnel the Blue Bell at Kidsgrove is a real ale Mecca - I highly recommend it.

The Romping Donkey at Hassall Green is worth a visit.

Don't forget the Caldon - my favourite canal!

Tim

The one at Festival Park is by the marina where Black Prince has a hire base, we were there yesterday after being out for the week. Its called the China Garden and is a Toby Carvery, choice of three meats (can have all three plus other options including veggie) then you choose your veg, our meal was fanatastic and all for £6.50 plus you can go back for extra veg!! For pudding I had a rubarb and apple crumble with a bottomless jug of custard smashing, all for under a tenner very good value for money, we were so full we had to go back to the boat for a lie down. Def recommend this place, also it has lots of character with nooks with comfy seating.

Also would recommend the Broughton Arms at Rode Heath, again good food at reasonable prices plus its a pub with a good atmosphere.

Julie

Hi

Planning our weeks trip in November avoiding winter stoppages and thinking of heading south from Elton Moss towards Stoke?

What are the moorings like in and around Stoke?

Any recommended pubs or places to visit on route?

Thanks

Nigel

Hi Nigel, Dont know about pubs, but there is plenty to see in the Stoke on Trent area if you dont mind legging it a bit, There is a world renowed pottery museum in Hanley (just up from festival park) with an area dedicated to the "Spitfre" which was designed by local lad Reginald Mitchell, There is also a working forge at the bottom of the Calden canal, the Wedgwood works at Barlaston, etc.

Edited by wotsnext

When we did the four counties in May we moored for 2 nights in Stoke just before the museum & the junction. We all really enjoyed Stoke which really suprised a lot of our fellow travellers who didn't have much of an opinion of it.

I personally thought it fascinating with all the terraced housing.

Don't miss The Romping Donkey at Hassall Green

Edited by harleyj

When we did the four counties in May we moored for 2 nights in Stoke just before the museum & the junction. We all really enjoyed Stoke which really suprised a lot of our fellow travellers who didn't have much of an opinion of it.

I personally thought it fascinating with all the terraced housing.

Don't miss The Romping Donkey at Hassall Green

Hi

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions, look like we have some good pubs to visit and I do not have to worry about mooring in Stoke

Thanks

Nigel