advice please

doc1864

Featured Posts

Of course you can paint it yourself, but you need very careful planning and preparation, and somewhere good to have the boat during the job.

Beware "professionals" who give you a cheap quote, and be aware that the good pros charge an awful lot, because its a big job. We're doing our boat in stages. last summer the cants the gunwales and the front and rear decks and hatches. This year we did the roof, and next year I fancy doing the sides. We'll hire a wet dock, do lots of preparation and use good paint and brushes, and most of all listen to advice from good painters.

Phil Speight of craftmaster http://www.craftmasterpaints.co.uk/) has recorded a CD on which he describes the process in some detail. You can get this free if you buy a tin of his paint, or maybe he would send you one if you asked nicely, especially if you promise to use his excellent paint.

Neil

Adding to the question further; A new boat is smooth ie: you cant see any brush marks. I take it new boats are spray painted to achieve this? If you paint your boat yourself using brushes will it not look like a sh1t DIY job compared to a sprayed boat?

Adding to the question further; A new boat is smooth ie: you cant see any brush marks. I take it new boats are spray painted to achieve this? If you paint your boat yourself using brushes will it not look like a sh1t DIY job compared to a sprayed boat?

Yes, some new boats are sprayed but the professionals use brushes and I defy you (This is not the personal 'you' but the generic 'you' :lol: ) to see the brush marks.

The brushes they use are not the typical B&Q type though.