moorings in/around Bristol

Smelly

Featured Posts

Spotted an intriguing job in Bristol, could take the boat down there... if I can tie it up somewhere.

I know I'd probably get flamed if I were to suggest bridge hopping til we could find a decent spot but would it be a possibility on that end of the K&A?

People will probably spout "if you can't find a mooring don't go", fair enough, but in 18 months I'll likely be out of a job so something's gotta budge!

I may be back at w*r* but watch this... cccccccccccccc xxxxxxxxxxxxx zzzzzzzzzzzzz ahhh! :lol:

Hi there,

Not sure where you are now or how well you know the area but the K&A is river from Bath down to Bristol, the last bit being tidal...not ideal for continuous cruising...very few short time mooring sites also, although Bristol Harbour are reasonable for winter moorings...Apparently for the harbour its best just to moor up, book in at the harbour masters office and just say you want wnter moorings....dont say you live on it!

Other options... v.expensive marina...hens teeth

Private mooring.....as above but much more rarer!

Cruise around bath and bradford and get train to Bristol....thats what I would do if you work sensible times...

Good luck...hope this helps...

Sally

Spotted an intriguing job in Bristol, could take the boat down there... if I can tie it up somewhere.

I know I'd probably get flamed if I were to suggest bridge hopping til we could find a decent spot but would it be a possibility on that end of the K&A?

People will probably spout "if you can't find a mooring don't go", fair enough, but in 18 months I'll likely be out of a job so something's gotta budge!

I may be back at w*r* but watch this... cccccccccccccc xxxxxxxxxxxxx zzzzzzzzzzzzz ahhh! :lol:

When I was looking for a mooring around Bristol/Bath, I was told all sorts of rumours about there being no moorings and that sort of thing. It's true that it's quite popular and you're very very unlikely to ever get a permanent mooring in the harbour itself, but I would suggest spending a weekend walking along the river and canal from Bristol through Bath all the way to Bradford on Avon (about 20-25 miles all the way) and talking to whoever you see - that's how we did it and ended up with a choice of four possible mooring sites (some less 'official' than others). But it wasn't easy and persistence is required. And it's not particularly cheap.

Hope this provides some encouragement at least.

Simon.

Ta all...

Re Winter moorings, the job offer wouldn't come, if at all, until early Nov at least. Didin't know the last stretch of the K&A was tidal so that's a learn... the harboiur might be handy as an intermiediate...

Didin't know the last stretch of the K&A was tidal so that's a learn... the harboiur might be handy as an intermiediate...

it's not tidal. the river Avon downstream of Bristol Harbour is tidal, but you wouldn't go there and there are no moorings unless you want a mud berth and a pair of waders.

it's not tidal. the river Avon downstream of Bristol Harbour is tidal, but you wouldn't go there and there are no moorings unless you want a mud berth and a pair of waders.

The Avon is semi tidal to above Hanham lock, know from bitter experience.

Tim

The Avon is semi tidal to above Hanham lock, know from bitter experience.

Tim

I can vouch for that, but only the highest tides sometimes come above Hanham weir and the incoming tide counteracts the flow of the river, so for a brief period everything is still, which looks quite cool. As far as I know, there is nowhere to moor between Hanham and Netham locks.

And the river can flood pretty badly. I've seen the locks underwater as far as Saltford. I was moored on the river at the time.

There are relatively new online offside private minimal moorings just below Bath Newbridge, near Bath Marina, which might be worth a look.

There's the yard at Keynsham as well.

They have recently put new pontoons in the harbour too. Not sure what for, there were no boats on them last time I was there.

I nearly purchased a boat moored in the harbour and was told by the harbour master that I could take on the mooring but the boat was a complete over priced shed. I'm now thinking I should have got it just for the mooring.