which engine

gaggle

Featured Posts

shire is the name of engine builder normally fits,any thoughts or comments re that make if possible.1st august delivery date if all goes to plan

21776[/snapback]

We have probably fitted about a 100 plus Shire engines without any major trauma with any, they are a Yanma/Mitsubishi derivative so come from a well proven marine background.

They are probably the most modern engine available the latest derivative seems to have overcome the smoky problem that the older version suffered on tick over.

They are supplied with a 2 year full warranty and 5 year warranty on the major engine components.

We also are Betamarine dealers and both the green and red line engines also prove popular, I don't really find much difference between the two manufacturers but the Barrus Shire range might have a slight edge up to 50hp but anything bigger and the lead is taken by Betamarine.

One thing to be wary of is how new is your new engine I saw a new boat two weeks ago with a new engine that was although a new install at least 3 years old and two derivatives behind the current production version. Although not a major problem I would not have been happy to have paid for the latest engine and been fobbed off with a older version.

Gary

Edited by Gary Peacock

Shire range of engines are produced by Barrus using Yanmar units.

I have had a 1600cc/30HP fitted to a 43' boat for 5 years.

Always starts first time, no heaters.

Only problem encountered is broken fabricated engine mounts - happened on two occasions.

Make sure the builder fits the engine mounting rails if supplied. No mount problems since rails fitted two years ago.

The smaller Yanmar engines are probably still three cylinder and hence prone to vibration. 2000cc units used to be 4 cylinder and probably still are.

Fitting an Aquadrive coupling transformed this engine in respect of noise and vibration. The originall fitted R&D coupling was no good. Engine vibrates but cannot move due to the R&D coupling.