Hurricane Heaters

BlueStringPudding

Featured Posts

Inspired by another thread, I'm intrigued by Hurricane heaters. They're bl**dy expensive and look rather bulky (having perused Calcutt's website) but I was wondering how many of you out there have got one, for how long have you had it and what's it's foibles/reliability/serviceability like.

I can't imagine being able to afford one in my lifetime, but I'd like to know more!

i've had a hurricane heater fitted to my boat since it was built 4 years ago

never had any problems with it at all

although i have no experience of other systems i would say that the hurricane

is very power hungry

it can drain your batteries down in a heartbeat

to be honest i much prefer to use the wood burning stove

is very power hungry

to be honest i much prefer to use the wood burning stove

Hi Blue String/Cugsey

Ditto the reliability, can't say I have experienced any problems re batteries though. I did with an Eberspacher on a horse box though, when it was time to go home the lorry batteries were flat, had to get a tow to start.

As for size ours sits on the swim no problems there. All in all a very good product

Edited by Big COL

is very power hungry

So they're good if you're on shore power with a battery charger on, but too power hungry if you've got no shore power?

Personally if I were going for diesel heating it would be a drip/gravity fed system. I don't like systems that are dependent on other systems - if one goes, they've both gone.

So they're good if you're on shore power with a battery charger on, but too power hungry if you've got no shore power?

Personally if I were going for diesel heating it would be a drip/gravity fed system. I don't like systems that are dependent on other systems - if one goes, they've both gone.

Hi Black rose.

Drip/gravity systems come with a different set of problems. The chip pan effect to name but one.

26 minutes! I haven't got 26 minutes of my life to spare to watch the rest of that video - but I'm sure it's very useful to anyone who already has a Hurricane heater!

Thanks. :lol:

They seem fairly reliable but lack the warranty and service support the Eberspacher can provide.

There's a warranty? There's service? There's support? I'd love to have my Eberspacher replaced as that'd be much cheaper than buying a new Hurricane, but I'm somewhat afeared it suffer the same problems that my current one does. Shame coz my radiators do nowt but get dusty. :lol: