Electric engine and reusing grey water

Featured Posts

If you wash decks and windows with saved 'grey' water, doesn't it, (and any nasties it contained in the first place), still largely end up in the cut?

That's why I was considering a tank which actually has bacteria which would break down nasties, and THEN use it. I've mates in Washington who have a very small septic tank which does just this, but they also use biodegradeable soaps and detergents as much as possible, and they have a particular bacteria culture in the tank. I'll have to ask them the specifics, but honestly, the principle was so simple it's almost a bit staggering why more people don't do it, and that's where the rub is right now for me.

I don't have a problem with people poking holes in my ideas, as it gives me a chance to think (barring people who want to keep arguing about minutae rather than the main topic just for the sake of being right :lol: ). However I do have to wonder how much of the "can't be done" has to do more with the fact people don't want to be inconvenienced for five minutes or don't like the sound of something for themselves personally, which seems to be tainting the view. I haven't actually been given a reason why this couldn't be done other than just inconvenience's sake. As you say, you personally could fit a piece of equipment which would cut down on costs, but it's expensive and inconvenient and you could be doing something more fun instead. For my part, I'd rather scrimp and save and maybe go without a bit in order to do something which, for other people, would be considered a waste of time and not so fun, because personally for me that makes me happy. To each their own.

On the plus side, I've managed to find a link to a refitter who does take a bit more "green" approach, and they've given me some good ideas. So that's good in any event!

Cheers anyway, all!

It's a shame that "Carrie" doesn't post anymore as she was very up on the 'green' side of boating with self-made composting loos and water saving ideas.

Perhaps you could look at a way to filter the grey water before it went back in the cut, and also investigate 'composting' toilets?

The second question I have - why is it that grey water tanks on boats aren't hooked into a flush-toilet sytem if a flush toilet is used on a boat? Is it just because no one thought about it or because it would require some sort of pipe fitting no one has thought about yet? The various boats I've seen where there was a flush toilet installed, they were using water directly from the main water supply instead of recycling from their grey water tank. I asked why the water wasn't being recycled instead, and merely got that "Oh, look, the little lady asked a silly question" sort of laugh and then never got an answer. Is there something I'm missing, or is it just because no one has thought about it before? How difficult would it be to fit that out oneself? My family owned a plumbing business, but I've no idea how it works on a boat (using plastic fittings I assume to cut down on corrosion and freezing/brazing in uncomfortable positions).

You can get flexible water tanks, this way fresh and grey water could share the same space.

why not get a composting loo...nothing to pump out...and you can grow vegetables with the resulting compost...

there are no problems with having a separate grey water tank....i recommend you get a manual or electric pump out kit fitted...then you can easily pump out into an elsan point without having to pay for the privilage ...electric boats are now a viable option....check the solar boat company or the electric boat association.....i recommend covering the roof with teflon thin film solar panels...not cheap but should provide ample power any surplus can heat water...you will need lots of batterries and probably a backup generator

.....an electric boat user.......yes they do exist

That's why I was considering a tank which actually has bacteria which would break down nasties, and THEN use it. I've mates in Washington who have a very small septic tank which does just this, but they also use biodegradeable soaps and detergents as much as possible, and they have a particular bacteria culture in the tank. I'll have to ask them the specifics, but honestly, the principle was so simple it's almost a bit staggering why more people don't do it, and that's where the rub is right now for me.

I don't have a problem with people poking holes in my ideas, as it gives me a chance to think (barring people who want to keep arguing about minutae rather than the main topic just for the sake of being right :lol: ). However I do have to wonder how much of the "can't be done" has to do more with the fact people don't want to be inconvenienced for five minutes or don't like the sound of something for themselves personally, which seems to be tainting the view. I haven't actually been given a reason why this couldn't be done other than just inconvenience's sake. As you say, you personally could fit a piece of equipment which would cut down on costs, but it's expensive and inconvenient and you could be doing something more fun instead. For my part, I'd rather scrimp and save and maybe go without a bit in order to do something which, for other people, would be considered a waste of time and not so fun, because personally for me that makes me happy. To each their own.

On the plus side, I've managed to find a link to a refitter who does take a bit more "green" approach, and they've given me some good ideas. So that's good in any event!

Cheers anyway, all!

I don't think anyone said that what you're suggesting can't be done, but I'm sceptical about the practicalities and benefits of doing it on a boat. Most boat toilets don't use much water so the advantage of recycling water for this purpose is negligable and the same is probably true for cleaning one's boat or windows. So what do you do with all that grey water you've collected? Put it on your plants - ok, that's probably your best bet, but I'm not a gardener so I don't know about that.

Anyway, if the idea of recycling is to save water, well if we were living in certain parts of Spain then I could see the benefits. If the idea is to stop polluting our waterways then I think a more practical approach is to use more environmentally benign cleaning products. There are more of these on the market than their used to be.

For anyone who's actually living on the waterways the idea of 'being green' is often much easier in theory than in practice.

Edited by blackrose