fuel filter

oldade

Featured Posts

Hi

I am going to fit a genny in my narrowboat it will be fitted in front of the engine.

On the engine beds so it wont need a fuel pump as the top of the engine will be below the bottom of the rear swim tank.

The genny has no fuel fillter fitted at the moment I would like to fit one.

My question is if I did fit a fillter would I then need a pump upstream of the fillter to force the fuel through or do we think it would flow through with out a pump?

Has anyone tryed it ?

I would like to do with out the pump if pos.

I am tempted to just try it and see if it will work.

What do we think ?

Which fillter would we recomend ?

Thanks in advance of any help given

ADE

Hi

I am going to fit a genny in my narrowboat it will be fitted in front of the engine.

On the engine beds so it wont need a fuel pump as the top of the engine will be below the bottom of the rear swim tank.

My question is if I did fit a fillter would I then need a pump upstream of the fillter to force the fuel through or do we think it would flow through with out a pump?

Has anyone tryed it ?

What do we think ?

ADE

Hi

The fuel will flow through by gravity as long as the filter is lower than the supply, example our engine has no fuel pump the tank (day tank) is about 18" to 24" higher than the injector pump with a CAV filter in the fuel pipe line after it leaves the bottom of the day tank, say 2" below and the fuel flows through freely to the injector pump.

We also have a diesel genny fed direct from the normal stern fuel tank, but this has an inline electric fuel pump before an inline filter as this was part of the supplied installation kit, I fitted an aditional CAV filter in the fuel line before the electric fuel pump as an additional screen and to lengthen the life of the inline one (as being M/volt they are expensive to change.) There is no problem with fuel flowing through the CAV to the inline pump.

Whether this genny would work without the pump I don't know. As the genny and it's injector pump are below the fuel tank level to about 3/4 empty it may do.

Sorry don't recall which filter I am using but it's the same in both CAV's, scrap yards are the best place to pick up the CAV unit's for a good price.

david

Hi

Has anyone tryed it ?

What do we think ?

ADE

Hi There

It might also be a good idea to fit a pre filter (if you dont have one)

Idealy with 4 ports - one out to your engine and one out to the genny see ----

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Land-Rover-series-2-...id=p3286.c0.m14

These take a simple Delphi filter element.

I think you will need a small pump but try befor you buy?

Alex