Gulper 220 or Viking 16?

AjW

Featured Posts

We've currently got one of those mini baths and a shower head.

Get in, shower, get out, turn on pump, wait till it empties the 1/4 full bath, turn off pump. The pump is loud and ancient.

But, we're hoping to replace the bath with a shower, and that would mean having a pump that runs as soon as the shower comes on. A Johnson Viking 16 comes to mind as it has a sump box, plenty of inlets and activates when the water flows. But the box is quite sizeable and has to sit lower than the shower tray(?). After reading comments on here it seems that it needs to be easily accessible for cleaning out the box too.

The other option is a Whale gulper 220 (both pumps are roughly the same price) which we'd switch on manually (unless there's an activated version) whenever we use the shower.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Get in, shower, get out, turn on pump, wait till it empties the 1/4 full bath, turn off pump. The pump is loud and ancient.

But, we're hoping to replace the bath with a shower, and that would mean having a pump that runs as soon as the shower comes on. A Johnson Viking 16 comes to mind as it has a sump box, plenty of inlets and activates when the water flows. But the box is quite sizeable and has to sit lower than the shower tray(?). After reading comments on here it seems that it needs to be easily accessible for cleaning out the box too.

The other option is a Whale gulper 220 (both pumps are roughly the same price) which we'd switch on manually (unless there's an activated version) whenever we use the shower.

I am in the process of fitting out our new salaway and I have opted for the whale 220 I have tested it it and it pumps extremely well I have also fitted a water level switch from a washing machine to make it work automatically I now now have to make a timer to run it for a couple of minutes to smooth out the difference between water levels but the pump works really well

We've got an 11 year old Whale Gulper on the shower that has never given a single bit of trouble. That includes 3 years of live abaord where it did at least 3 showers every single day. I have no complaints.

Gibbo

Our new boat (now 6 months old) was fitted with a Johnson 'impeller' pump. It was noisy & slow & I wasn't sorry when it died & we had to find a replacement. We fitted a whale gulper & it is brilliant, much quieter & faster.

Julia