Nearly afloat

rider66

Featured Posts

Hi all.

House kinda sold, boat kinda paid for. Typing on a wooden table so touching plenty of wood! Do need to find a crane on the Grand Union between Berko and Aldbury capable of lifting a 60 x 10 boat into the water if anyone knows of a yard with one.

Also any idea on weight. Liverpool boats think their lined sailaways of these dimensions are 16 tons. The current owner remebers the chap on the crane saying it was 22.

Christian

Hi all.

House kinda sold, boat kinda paid for. Typing on a wooden table so touching plenty of wood! Do need to find a crane on the Grand Union between Berko and Aldbury capable of lifting a 60 x 10 boat into the water if anyone knows of a yard with one.

Also any idea on weight. Liverpool boats think their lined sailaways of these dimensions are 16 tons. The current owner remebers the chap on the crane saying it was 22.

Christian

Your best bet for a safe lift in the area is P&S Marine in Watford.

Chris G

Hi all.

That's pretty restrictive, particularly as the canal doesn't pass too close to Aldbury!

Do you mean Aylesbury ?

The only boatyards I can think of with a crane on site near to Berko is the one at Winkwell. I think it can handle a widebeam, but you would need to check.

Despite the crane fatality at Willowbridge, (near Bletchley), they also still seem to be lifting boats.

That's pretty restrictive, particularly as the canal doesn't pass too close to Aldbury!

Do you mean Aylesbury

The only boatyards I can think of with a crane on site near to Berko is the one at Winkwell. I think it can handle a widebeam, but you would need to check.

Despite the crane fatality at Willowbridge, (near Bletchley), they also still seem to be lifting boats.

Blimey - they're even more dangerous than narrowboats! Linky

SteveE

My calculations for my 57x10 Liverpool come out at 23tonnes.

Was that the calculation of your basic sailaway or does it account for the lining too?

I think Watford is your best bet in terms of road access. Les & Heidi had their 60' x 10.5' boat Blue Pearl lifted in there and that was fully fitted.

Winkwell would be a bit of a nightmare for a lorry with a widebeam to get to.

Edited by blackrose

I think Watford is your best bet in terms of road access. Les & Heidi had their 60' x 10.5' boat Blue Pearl lifted in there and that was fully fitted.

Winkwell would be a bit of a nightmare for a lorry with a widebeam to get to.

If you had seen the size of the heavy plant that used to be moved in on a low-loader to a depot some distance further up, then I suspect getting a wide-beam there on a lorry is less difficult than you might imagine.

Of course I could be wrong, but I'm sure the Winkwell people could advise on what has been brought in by road.

The back roads involved user to be part of my rat-run to work, and I could never quite understand why much of the heavy plant got moved along it at rush hour times.

If you had seen the size of the heavy plant that used to be moved in on a low-loader to a depot some distance further up, then I suspect getting a wide-beam there on a lorry is less difficult than you might imagine.

Of course I could be wrong, but I'm sure the Winkwell people could advise on what has been brought in by road.

The back roads involved user to be part of my rat-run to work, and I could never quite understand why much of the heavy plant got moved along it at rush hour times.

It's just that one side of Winkwell you've got a railway bridge (not sure about the height?), and the other side is the single lane track with low hanging trees leading to the A41 and the swing bridge.

It's just that one side of Winkwell you've got a railway bridge (not sure about the height?), and the other side is the single lane track with low hanging trees leading to the A41 and the swing bridge.

The main road (A4251 now, not A41) is not possible, because of the swing bridge. Big lorries accessing anything that side of the canal do have to use the (almost) single track lane. I know massive lorries have done so in the past, because I have regularly had to squeeze past them.

If the shell has a proper paint job, it's probably correct you would not wish to send it down there, as it's likely to get scratched by trees.

I hadn't thought of that, as the loads I've seen (Bulldozers, levellers, cranes, etc), nobody is going to worry about superficial damage to.

Watford is indeed sounding favourite!