Licensing

FatBear

Featured Posts

I am quite confused about licensing. I am from the US. Here, we need Coast Guard licenses to take passengers, or to operate a large vessel, but not to operate our own private boats of reasonable size. Some states do require a simple license, but it is not a federal requirement. To operate a marine VHF radio, you send in your 25 bucks and they send you a (class D, I think) license. I've done it a couple of times and it's such a non-event that I don't even remember the whole process or type of license.

In reading about canal barges/barging, I have come across mention of a number of licenses and fees. I understand that there's an ICC which is for British citizens so I don't have to worry about it. And I understand that France and Belgium require licenses, too. I think there's one for boats 15-24 meters and one for 24-38? meters. Probably another for bigger ones. And to get these licenses you have to take a test, etc. And I also understand that they honor licenses for your home country if you are a foreigner. I am a foreigner, but I am not required to have a license. So does that mean I don't need one in France, either? (I realize that most of you are British, but I'm hoping that someone knows the French rules here.)

I've also read about applications for VHF licenses and lengthy waits and so on. Since VHF is important safety equipment, as well as useful for communicating with navigational authorities (lockkeepers) I would think it would be easy to get the license. What really is required for a VHF license? (Being a long-time boater and light-plane pilot, I would find it uncomfortable to be without radio communication.)

Are there other licenses I need to worry about?

And what about user fees? Do I need to pay to use the canals? It only seems fair, but how much?

If there is an online guide to these licenses and fees that someone can point me to, that might make answering this easier.

Thank you!

You will find information about licensing boats in the UK Here.

To use most waterways in the UK, the boat itself must be licensed. Owners and users do not have to have a personal license (or for that matter any training) before taking a boat out. The position is, I think, different in the rest of Europe but I'm no expert on that.

These might help

http://www.worldcanals.com/

http://www.canals.com/

and there are some folk who know about these things on

uk.rec.waterways also available at http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.rec.waterways?hl=en

Re VHF in the UK the vessel/station is licensed and the operator is tested and licensed, : from different authorities, all good fun :D

Edited by Amicus

. . . In reading about canal barges/barging, I have come across mention of a number of licenses and fees.  Do I need to pay to use the canals?  It only seems fair, but how much?

If there is an online guide to these licenses and fees that someone can point me to, that might make answering this easier.

Thank you!

May be a case of two nations divided by a common language. We tend to use licence to mean any sort of permission granted to use a facility. For instance we pay for the 'licence' to keep a vehicle on the road but it is really a tax on the road user.

If you hire a boat the licence will be provided by the hirer. If you buy a boat you will need to buy a licence from the authority responsible for the water you use it on. British Waterways for most of the canals, The Environment Agency for the Thames and a few other rivers, The Broads Authority for the Norfolk Broads. There are several other privately run canals e.g. The River Wey & the Basingstoke canal.

As well as paying a fee you will have to prove that you have third party insurance and either an RCD certificate for a new boat or a Boat Safety Certificate for an older boat.

Few private canal boats have VHF radio. On the larger waterways, and the tidal rivers it is useful but not compulsory. There is usually the option of signalling a lock or bridge keeper by horn signals or on a mobile telephone.

Do try posting on uk.rec.waterways as suggested by Amicus - you will find some of your countrymen there who have experience of the UK system and some people who operate their boats in France, Belgium and Holland. I am sure the European licencing requirements have been covered there recently.

As I understand it the ICC (administered by the Royal Yachting Association) is not compulsory in UK but is recognised in Europe. I think if you hire a boat in France you are not required to pass a test or have an operating licence; otherwise you need to pass a test to obtain a licence. Maybe there is an organisation in the US who provide a similar licence.

FranceGuide.com has some links but your french will need to better than mine!

Alan