Erewash Canal, River Soar and Grand Union Canal

Featured Posts

On the weekend of 27th-29th June over 60 Barclays Bank employees are attempting a charity walk in relay from Mansfield Notts to Gerrards Cross Bucks principally following the Erewash canal, River Soar and Grand Union canal.

We are looking to achieve the 159 miles in 48 hours with a continuous walk. We are raising funds for the British Heart Foundation.

Donations being matched by Barclays Bank. See www.justgiving.com/centrallinechallenge

We have mapped out the route but have not checked in detail the condition of the towpaths (especially for walking at night) Can anybody give any useful advice?

Mike,

The problem on advising on towpath quality, is that it's only really possible if you have recent experience.

I can say that normally the whole of the southern Grand Union from (say) Long Buckby down right into London is of fairly excellent quality, and can usually not only be walked fairly easily, but can be easily cycled too.

But on some stretches if the grass has not been recently cut, it can get a lot more arduous, particularly if you are trying to tramp through long grass that is also very wet.

On the stretch of the southern GU you are interested in the length from south of Stoke Bruerne locks to round about Cosgrove is the part which is most grassy, and where conditions are hard to predict until you get there. I've sometimes cycled it with no difficulty, and at others nearly brought to a standstill by foot high grass.

Perhaps someone has been that way in the last few weeks, and will be able to tell you.

Otherwise the bit of the southern Grand Union you are interested in is usually pretty good for walking, and you should be fine.

Alan

EDIT:

One other thought. Obviously at Blisworth Tunnel, just before Stoke Bruerne, you will have to go over the top of the hill. It's an easy road to follow, with the air shafts for the tunnel to one side, but although it's not a busy road, there is no footpath, and you'll need to walk on the road itself. It's fairly obvious where to leave the road to descend and rejoin the towpath.

Edited by alan_fincher

The GU around Marsworth doesn't appear to have seen a lawnmower this year. Saw a women walking along it this afternoon and realised that the grass is at least waste high except where the anglers have flattened it.

Not sure if the grass is the same height elsewhere.

You could get even wetter if it rained.

Let me get this right ......

60 bankers .... walking along a lonely towpath .... In the dark .... In my neck of the woods.

Just as long as I leave no witnesses :lol:

Soar towpath is it's usual lumpy bumpy self, if you're walking it in the dark, bring many many torches.

• 2 weeks later...