How does your garden grow????

Capey

Featured Posts

• 2 weeks later...

well read the posts , i think pots , troughs etc are ok i usually drill a series off holes in mine about a 25mm from the base this allows water to remain their which helps the plants have a good drink , though thats in my garden , some herbs /plants will want to take over mint grows like a weed , so probally a 8"" pot will be all you need , and just pick a sprig or two etc .

ive just found a pinapple variety , smells like pineapple , but nice for salids .

if youve only a small space lettice in 75mm pots but put the pots in a trough , then its easy to water 15 pots etc in one go radish though you will only want 4 or five seeds to a pot , chives are nice plus a bit off colour and again you could use 2 or 3, 75 mm pots ratheir than a 150 ,200 mm one .

best for yeild are runner beans , usually on the garden we nip out the tip off the plant when it reachers the height we want , and when the plant goes stringy old i just save some seeds from the plant , what seeds / beans i have left over just go in a stew .

some plants are going to be good for the purpose otheirs arnt ,

id say lettice and raddish are your easy ones , mint , too , well its a start and probally sucessfull , im not sure if this would work or as such be a good idear ?

but you could always pot up a runner bean , when its started growing , pick a spot , plant it and return a few weeks latter to hopefully reclaim whats rightfully yours ? lol

how ever it may be your misfortune may be some ones luck , even if it is a field mouse ?

I have just added mini pumpkins, chilis and brinjals to the collection , the green house is now chocca. Stil no produce yet except a huge crop of basil - so a hell of a lot of spagetti sauce is on the cards. Mind you we have had no sun this summer - again - so everything struggling a bit

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd add a little bit of an update on the boat garden. Here's a good picture of my first attempts, planted around last September.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/74619946@N00/1396583647/

The spring onions worked amazingly well and grew huge, tasted lovely. The spinach beet also came up well, and we ate that for ages. Planted a lot of beetroot, but misjudged the amount of depth required, so whilst they grew, they were only really tiny. I ended up digging them all out, including roots, and passing them on to a mate of mine who has an allotment, so they can be planted out with enough space to grow.

Failed on the lettuce and pak choi, as I tried to thin them out but then the rest of them just died! All a learning curve though, and this was pretty much my first attempt at growing anything.

I bought a big green trough to plant things out in earlier this year, and have some carrots and broccoli in there. Carrots are doing really well, and I get excited every time I take a peek under the soil. Sad, innit? Broccoli maybe doesn't have enough space as it's looking a bid bodged in, and the leaves are going a bit brown. Any ideas?

Lettuce failed again, probably because I didn't water it enough. Also tried one of those 'living salads' from Sainsbury's, but it grew amazingly well for a little while, then bolted into flowers and died real quick. I am now actually reading some gardening books, as suspect it may be more difficult than first thought! Spinach and parsley also bolted, but will try again soon with something else in the space.

Anyone who's really interested in gardening might like to check out the Myfolia site, which my mum really likes. I can't be arsed to fill it all in myself, but I can see it would be useful. http://myfolia.com/

Meg

I read somewhere to use canal water to put on plants but I swear its killed off my lettuce.....I`ve grown it for years and it keeps me going in salad leaves all summer but this year it did great until I started watering it with canal water...doh!!

I`m too distraught to start over again!

Oh Poo, thats really sad, maybe too much diesel in the water or whatever. Mine are done with the tap and are flourishin, in fact the cucumber is a bit like a triffid now, I am getting a bit nervous to go into the greenhouse, in case I never come out again. Looking to plant garlic next after watching that fella on the Hampton Court Flower Show garlic person from Isle of Man - it lookes just too easy for words.

Who mentioned pots ? Ahhhhh Griffindale

We really wanted to avoid pots, they just annoy me and seem to make a mess everywhere, scratch the paintwork, get knocked over easily and so on, that's why we were thinking of a trough so to compartmentalise the greenery LOL

Ah, yes Julynian, but those herbs are a rowdy lot, do you really want them crowding out your more restrained veggies? :-D