Opinions please!

jojoknitter

Featured Posts

JoJo

Just because everyone else is doing as you are doing does not make it 'legal'.

There are so many things that can be wrong with your situation, is it a residential mooring, with planning permission is possibly the biggest problem.

If it is residential, then does the 'owner' have permission to sub-let.

I wish you luck in whatever you decide to do, perhaps a visit to the Citizens Advice may be good idea.

JoJo

Just because everyone else is doing as you are doing does not make it 'legal'.

There are so many things that can be wrong with your situation, is it a residential mooring, with planning permission is possibly the biggest problem.

If it is residential, then does the 'owner' have permission to sub-let.

I wish you luck in whatever you decide to do, perhaps a visit to the Citizens Advice may be good idea.

Yes, I entirely agree with everything Bottle has said.

Unless this is a proper residential mooring, the landlord / boat owner should not be letting the boat out to you to live on.

If this is the case, it weakens your position I feel, as it will be hard during any negotiations not to draw attention to a situation that should not have existed in the first place.

Two further things I wonder, but have no detailed knowledge of....

1) If this is a commercial arrangement, letting the boat out, then how is it licensed ? Does it just have a normal "private" craft licence ? If it does, should it not have the much more expensive commercial licence ?

2) Do the owners insurance company know of the arrangement, or do they just think it's the owner's private boat ?

I don't wan't to heap further worries upon you, but taking some advice seems sensible. The CAB may well be a good place to start.

Good luck, though, in trying to resolve this.

Just my little two penneth worth......................A scarey boat owner???? Is there such a thing :lol::lol::lol:

absolutely, although the scarist boat owner in those parts was the one that used to carry a shot gun and point it at people AND fire!... ended up shooting herself a couple of years ago....

What do your neighbours say about the situation, and are you SURE the boat owner OWNS the mooring rather than has rights to moor there?

Edited by Bones

absolutely, although the scarist boat owner in those parts was the one that used to carry a shot gun and point it at people AND fire!... ended up shooting herself a couple of years ago....

What do your neighbours say about the situation, and are you SURE the boat owner OWNS the mooring rather than has rights to moor there?

OH GOOD GOD. this has been a voyage of discovery. I wish I had never asked. Maybe ignorance IS bliss. I never knew it could be so complicated...

The easiest way forward for me is to carry on regardless and look for my own boat. jeeeeeez.

thanks anyway for advice given. I shall consider my next move VERY carefully. And have a 'little chat' with the owner. :lol:

Yes, I entirely agree with everything Bottle has said.

Unless this is a proper residential mooring, the landlord / boat owner should not be letting the boat out to you to live on.

If this is the case, it weakens your position I feel, as it will be hard during any negotiations not to draw attention to a situation that should not have existed in the first place.

Two further things I wonder, but have no detailed knowledge of....

1) If this is a commercial arrangement, letting the boat out, then how is it licensed ? Does it just have a normal "private" craft licence ? If it does, should it not have the much more expensive commercial licence ?

2) Do the owners insurance company know of the arrangement, or do they just think it's the owner's private boat ?

I don't wan't to heap further worries upon you, but taking some advice seems sensible. The CAB may well be a good place to start.

Good luck, though, in trying to resolve this.

I know i sound like an idiot but.....

1 - why cant people let their boats out if they own them ( not mentioning the mooring a the mo..!?)

2 - what does planning permission have to do with boats?

3- The insurance company DO know that it is rented to us.

4- the boat has a licence for canal and river ( all i know so far)

sorry to be ignorant but this is all a bit of a shocker.

Why did the landlord put the boat outside of the mooring? Could it be so he could let the mooring out separately? In other words, might this "nutter" be legitimately paying for the mooring and it is your landlord who's doing the conning? Double check that your rental contract includes the mooring and not just the boat.

he put the boat piutside the mooring because he took it out and when he returned the other boat was in the space he had been in.

Edited by jojoknitter

1 - why cant people let their boats out if they own them ( not mentioning the mooring a the mo..!?)

They can but hiring/renting out needs a commercial licence and the boat has to maintained to a higher standard. Otherwise it can be done

Everything today has to have permision. :lol:

I know i sound like an idiot but.....

Not at all.........

They can, but a different set of regulations and (presumable) licencing rules apply.

Even the BSS regulations probably are different. A boat let for hire being governed by different standards from one only owned and used by a single owner.

Generally any mooring can only be used for full residential puposes, (i.e as somebodies only home), if the local planning authorities have permitted it.

OK, I know countless people are living full time on moorings not officially defined as "residential", but strictly none of them should be.

3- The insurance company DO know that it is rented to us.

Good!

4- the boat has a licence for canal and river ( all i know so far)

Well I'm not expert on the finer points of BW licencing, but I have a strong feeling if it's a boat being let out for money, that the owner should probably be paying for a commercial licence, (if it's attached to the boat, it will tell you what type it is). I've not checked numbers, but believe a commercial licence costs at least twice what the equivalent private one would. I may be wrong on this point, and would be perfectly happy to stand corrected if I have my facts wrong on this, or any other, detail.

Edited by alan_fincher

Why do we pay a licence fee whitch entitles us to cruise the waterways then have to pay more to stop and moore up.Another post....Give them half of there money, your not getting all of what your paying for so don't give them all there money.... Easy for me to say it's not my problem. Best of luck on this one.

Edited by muffin