Wey Navigation

MtB

Featured Posts

Does anyone here know the licence requirements for taking our narrowboat for a few days on the Wey?

Had a search of this forum and Googled briefly but not come up with any specifics. I don't suppose our Gold Licence covers the Wey given it appears to be National Trust... or does it?

And while we're there, we'd like to visit the Basingstoke canal too, for which I believe ANOTHER separate licence is needed in advance. Any info on how to obtain one much appreciated too.

Cheers, Mike

Edited by mike bryant

Does anyone here know the licence requirements for taking our narrowboat for a few days on the Wey?

Had a search of this forum and Googled briefly but not come up with any specifics. I don't suppose our Gold Licence covers the Wey given it appears to be National Trust... or does it?

And while we're there, we'd like to visit the Basingstoke canal too, for which I believe ANOTHER separate licence is needed in advance. Any info on how to obtain one much appreciated too.

Cheers, Mike

The National Trust have all the information you need in this PDF:

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-riv...boat_users.pdf

You need a license issued by the NT, as a BW Gold License does not cover the Rver Wey

Edited by interleaf2

Cheers, Mike

Worth checking on the status of the Basingstoke as a lot of it is shut this year!

Details of the stoppages and license info can be found at:

http://www.basingstoke-canal.co.uk/

Tim

Hi there ,

you'll need proof of valid insurance and boat safety certificate and some money . Visitor licences are normally for a maximum of three weeks .

Be aware that , as a river navigation , the Wey is liable to flooding , ( we were in flood the last two days ) so it is worth phoning the navigation office to check the current (sorry! ) situation . The number is 01483 561389 . You can buy a cheaper transit licence if you are only going to and from the Basingstoke canal. Oh , and the entrance from the Thames can be rather exciting when the flow is up a bit !

When I checked a few weeks ago the Basingstoke website was saying that there will probably be no navigation beyond Brookwood this year but they hope to have all the repairs done so they can open throughout next year .

Duncan