Hudini Hatches!

Kristian

Featured Posts

OK people, id like a Hudini hatch fitted during the summer but some have said "STOP"!!

Do they drip and can it be stopped, oh and can you get double glazed units?

I have two on my boat, yes they can leak, but I just use a couple of Vac formed covers available from caravan shops, they prevent leaks and cut down the condensation.

A previous owner had actually glued them shut with silicon :D I just need the enthusiasm to try and un-glue them now as they would provide good ventilation in the hotter weather.

Paul

Our houdini hatch has never leaked at all, but you can get wet in two ways (apart from the obvious one of simply forgetting to close it when it rains).

First, when it rains they hold quite a lot of water on the glass, so if you open it too quickly when the rain has stopped you will get an invigorating shower. Solution - always open it slowly unless you're wearing shower-gel.

Secondly, condensation can be a big problem. I simply cut out a piece of twin-wall plastic, the type used for conservatory roofs, to match the shape of the opening part of the hatch. It cuts quite easily with a sharp Stanley knife. A strip of black tape all round made it look good and also covered the ends of the airways. I then glued it to the opening frame of the hatch with ordinary Bostik (which can be removed quite easily), effectively making a triple-glazed unit. The only condensation I get is, in extreme conditions a slight build-up on the fixed frame itself. It's not enough to be a problem, though on a bad mornong while waiting for the ketle to boil I wipe a sheet of kitchen-roll along the frame before I get a drip down the back of my neck when standing in front of the cooker.

Our hatch does have a little condensation when conditions are right, such as blooming cold outside and warm and cosy inside. We also have it worse if there are more people on-board.

I think its funny though when I watch it drip down hubs neck and sheer panic breaks out. Quote "oh my god there's water on the inside" ( running private joke) - Lets all man the life belts!!!!. A quick wipe with a piece of kitchen towel usually brings the blood pressure down to normal levels. He should worry when the water comes over the top of the slippers! :D

OK people, id like a Hudini hatch fitted during the summer but some have said "STOP"!!

Do they drip and can it be stopped, oh and can you get double glazed units?

ChannelGlaze do double glazed Houdini hatches. IIRC they are about £500.00 each, plus VAT!