cheap portholes

boatbot

Featured Posts

I still have the portholes, I am going away for a week but I will post photo's when I return.

"When I built my boat I had brass porthole surrounds cast from brass to my own design, they have an outside diameter of 11.5 inches and internal diameter of 8.25 inches.

I have two which I did not use, they are heavy units unlike the more modern flimsy jobs complete with toughened glass and silicone rubber gaskets. They are at present in a machined un-polished state but I can supply them to any finished condition.

PM me with offers or to discuss.

I also have the original wooden casting patern to make more if anyone is interested".

There's a company in Newark called Procast, they're now doing solid cast brass portholes with double glazed glass. They're advertising in Junes Canal Boat maazine. All of our portholes were made by Procast 4 years ago, excellent quality, not double glazed though, they're really solid grand union design with 4mm toughened safety glass. They were very reasonably priced when we bought them compared to other companies at the time. Might be worth enquiring with them.

Procast, Broughton Ind Est, Newark

The magazine with the add is at my office, but will post details tomorrow if anyone doesn't have the Canal Boat mag.

R & D Fabrications

R & D Fabrications, Unit 65-67 Boughton Industrial Estate,New Ollerton, Newark, Notts, NG22 9LD ... R & D Fabrications. 01623 862473. 01623 862866.

this is procast as well

R & D Fabrications

R & D Fabrications, Unit 65-67 Boughton Industrial Estate,New Ollerton, Newark, Notts, NG22 9LD ... R & D Fabrications. 01623 862473. 01623 862866.

this is procast as well

Not now it isn't :o Unfortunately Procast have nothing to do with them anymore. They did buy R&D From the owners Ron and Shelia in 2004. Sadly things went wrong for Procast and they sold out to another company around 18 months later. Brian the owner of procast had some great innotative ideas, but was badly let down by others on the business side I heard.

R&D has had 3 different owners since then I believe. However Procast are still operating their brassworks on the same Ind est I think unit 173. As i posted earlier they have an advert in this months June addition of Canal Boat. I'm not sure who runs R&D now, or even if it's still called R&D. A fabricator Abdul Polar a long time employee of R&D who built my brothers and our boat also got fed up with the 2'ings and fro'ings of ownership and started his own boat building business on the same Broughton ind est called Polar Narrowoats. An extremely good fabricator with 90+ shells constructed by him over the past 20 years. He was fully trained By ron the original owner of R&D Fabrications who aparrently came from a long line of of well respected family boatbuilders .

thanks for that ill update my phone book

at least dave clarke is still going (the D in R&D)

I never knew a Dave Clarke when we purchased from R&D was he originally a partner with Ron.

I believe Ron and Sheila moved to Australia, or at least it was mentioned during our purchase order for the boat. Procast actually took over R&D during our build. We were aware they were retiring and this was likely to happen though, so no nasty shocks :o I've googled R&D but nothing comes up, I thing the name has been changed. We're visiting our Fabricator next month on the same site, so I'll have a good nose around :lol: