Gas flame colour

Featured Posts

I gave the old Calor Gas cooker a "service" yesterday. It's the white one with two rings .. grill .. oven ...... old but still good.

I managed to get the two rings and the grill flame burning predominantly blue, but the oven flame is driving me nuts.

I've never used the oven, so I didn't have a point of reference.

On "low power", the flame is nice and blue, but on "high power", the lower three fifths or so is blue, and the rest is yellow.

I have cleaned out as much rust/muck as possible from the burner, and cleaned the jet, and it is better than it was but it still has a lot of yellow in the flame, which indicates incomplete combustion/lack of air. On the rings and grill, there is an air vent screw that you can adjust, but the oven burner does not have one.

Can anybody tell me what the flame should look like in the oven, because I am coming to the conclusion that I am chasing fairies, and my "faulty" flame is actually normal! :lol:

I am going to try a new regulator and gas bottle today, because I don't know the history of the old ones ..... watch this space!

I gave the old Calor Gas cooker a "service" yesterday. It's the white one with two rings .. grill .. oven ...... old but still good.

I managed to get the two rings and the grill flame burning predominantly blue, but the oven flame is driving me nuts.

I've never used the oven, so I didn't have a point of reference.

On "low power", the flame is nice and blue, but on "high power", the lower three fifths or so is blue, and the rest is yellow.

I have cleaned out as much rust/muck as possible from the burner, and cleaned the jet, and it is better than it was but it still has a lot of yellow in the flame, which indicates incomplete combustion/lack of air. On the rings and grill, there is an air vent screw that you can adjust, but the oven burner does not have one.

Can anybody tell me what the flame should look like in the oven, because I am coming to the conclusion that I am chasing fairies, and my "faulty" flame is actually normal! :lol:

I am going to try a new regulator and gas bottle today, because I don't know the history of the old ones ..... watch this space!

It should burn blue.

If you have cleaned everything in sight, and you haven't used the oven, just maybe the gas/air mix is wrong. A tad too much gas< check metering valve

A yellow flame will (should) fail the BSS examination.

That's what I thought, but looking at this -

GasFlameInfo.jpg

I'm not sure any more. The yellow in my flame is slightly higher than in the picture , but then again so is the blue.

Edited by 1066

The yellow in my flame is slightly higher than in the picture , but then again so is the blue.

My flame goes orange at the tip when the gas is getting low. At the moment, gas bottle newish, the flame is completely blue with the occasional flash of orange (impurities?).

Oh well, the new regulator/gas bottle didn't make any difference! :lol:

The flame is still predominantly blue, with yellowish tips. It is not a "sooty" type of yellow - i.e., it doesn't resemble a candle flame, but it is yellow nevertheless.

I'll take the burner to somebody with a compressor, to see if I can get any more muck out of it. The biggest problem is that it is like two pipes side-by-side, with a U-bend at the top.

The air/gas goes up one side, then around the bend [ :wub: ] and down the other side, which has the burner holes in it - this means I can clean one pipe, but not the other.

There must be loads of people at the boat club with the same type of cooker, but can I find one to compare flames with .... :clapping: