RCD CE BSS Etc

Featured Posts

I know Gary is the well read expert on these matters but I declined to do a deal with somebody this weekend (yes I did not do a deal !!).

They bought a 4 year old boat almost completely built.

They wanted to Part exchange it against a year old boat.

The Hull has a mark on the fuel tank only with a no. not recognisable as a H.I.N. but 'just so the builder knows which shell one it is'

The boat has a Boat Safety BUT No CE mark, No HIN, No manual, No Declaration of Conformity.

The worse thing is that the boat went into the water for the first time after they bought it so the use has only started 3 months ago.

I advised them to talk to the Broker and seek return of the vessel.

Failing this they should arrange for a surveyour to inspect and complete the required paperwork for them.

All out there please be wary there are many similar boats around. Whilst the majority are generally fit for purpose the problem might arise after you unknowingly (as in this case) try to pass the vessel on.

I would not have been able to re-sell the vessel until I did this work (and whatever else is needed to comply) and they thought I was taking the p*** when I made them an offer.

So now I'm the Baddy !!

All in a days work.

Off to play with Otter much better day today I hope.

P.S. They are off to see you next Domonic.

Edited by bargeeboy

Unfortunately the "I can build my own boat craze" is generating a lot of these twilight boats that strictly speaking can't legally be on the market.

The good brokers wont touch them because they are left with the costs of sorting out the problems or even potential legal issues not of their making.

The value of these boats is very little due to this but still the DIY fans ignore the RCD etc and quite happily spout the line that they will not be needing to sell the boat for 5 years so they aren't interested!

Then their circumstances change and all that money spent becomes a hole in the water that you can't legally sell and no one wants to buy.

Edited by Gary Peacock

I imagine there are a lot of newbies to boats who know nothing about The RCD and would buy such a boat anyway if the seller hung on long enough.

The problem with the RCD is no one likes it-

Some boatbuilders try to comply with it.

Some boatbuilders ignore it and claim ignorance.

Some boatbuilders fiddle it to their financial advantage.

Shell builders don't mention it because it isn't good for sales to mention the complexity that the RCD could give the potential customer.

BW etc very much ignore or turn a blind eye to it.

In reality it's been mandatory since the 16th June 1998 so it isn't exactly new.

It's purpose is consumer protection to provide Mr & Mrs Billy Boater with a product of minimum legal standard and not a lemon, surely this should be seen to be good for them?

The reality is that the only ones of those who seem to acknowledge what the RCD does are those that try to comply with it the rest are in better position saying little or nothing about it?

The waterways press says very little which is strange but maybe their scared of upsetting the boatbuilders and their advertising revenue.

BW and the others while all safety and bureaucracy in some quarters could make the public aware of it and prevent illegal and sometimes potentially dangerous boats entering their waters but in reality provide a back door for these boats to do so via BSS. (Maybe licensing revenue comes before safety in reality?)

Edited by Gary Peacock