fitting classic engine

Featured Posts

Hello all, back after too many years away and considering fitting a new lister cs12 twin cylinder diesel into older boat I,m not fazed by the fitting details just out of touch with the regulations. everything seems relatively sanitised since I was last on the cut and while things obviously move on have I missed anything with regard to emmissions and other matters that would make fitting such an engine out of the question any info would be most welcome as I have only just startedmy research,

Regards Stuart

Hello all, back after too many years away and considering fitting a new lister cs12 twin cylinder diesel into older boat I,m not fazed by the fitting details just out of touch with the regulations. everything seems relatively sanitised since I was last on the cut and while things obviously move on have I missed anything with regard to emmissions and other matters that would make fitting such an engine out of the question any info would be most welcome as I have only just startedmy research,

Regards Stuart

On a new built boat with CE marking probably not legal. (There is a UK brewed loophole that will almost certainly be closed.)

On an existing boat there are no legal problems at all at the moment.

On a new built boat with CE marking probably not legal. (There is a UK brewed loophole that will almost certainly be closed.)

Thanks for that Gary, are there any proposals in the pipeline to make it difficult, and do you personally think its liable to become impractical in the short term, {have you got your crystal ball handy} regards, stuart

What does this mean Gary? is it because the engine doesn't meet a standard? Because it's DIY?

How about fitting a (fifteenth-hand) vintage engine in a new boat, is this the same?

and if it's a non-CE marked replica? I assume this to be fine?

Basically the engine in a new production boat that is CE marked needs to meet the relevant standards now in use.

If a builder fits a vintage engine and CE marks or places the boat on the open market he is breaking the law.

This however is quite commonly done using a builders declaration that the boat "except" for the engine is compliant now this initially seemed a good idea and was supported but the EU took the view that if you can do that for an engine you could equally apply it to every other element.

I.e. this boat is compliant "except" in the requirements for stability!

You really have three arguments here RCD CE marking issues, Placing on the market a non CE marked boat and the green issues relating to stricter immersion requirements etc.

The problem doesn't really apply to most builders in the EU where the CE marking route was largely dreamt up because most of it is mass production of GRP craft etc.

In the UK a vintage tug with vintage engine is perfectly fine but if a boatbuilder builds a plaything replica and sticks a vintage engine in it then he could in theory get the full weight of the law on his toes.

The other seldom mentioned thing is that a commercial craft is exempt from the RCD but convert it into recreational boat with liveaboard facilities then the this major craft conversion now means that the craft is now subject to the RCD when placed on the market.

The third revision of the RCD is due shortly and will probably address some of the issues directly.

Edited by Gary Peacock

At what point would a classic engine be exposed as contravening the "rules"would it be at the bss inspection or some other point that my out of touch memory is forgetting, regards, Stuart.

The BSS doesn't come into it because it's got no legal powers.

However the RCD is UK and European law it is the involvement of Trading Standards that would cause the problem.

In reality they have to trip over you or be tipped off to what you are doing.

There is some info HERE.

If they were to get their teeth into and you had built a few boats the same way then the fines would probably put you out of business.

The BSS doesn't come into it because it's got no legal powers.

However the RCD is UK and European law it is the involvement of Trading Standards that would cause the problem.

In reality they have to trip over you or be tipped off to what you are doing.

There is some info HERE.

If they were to get their teeth into and you had built a few boats the same way then the fines would probably put you out of business.

Thanks for that Gary thats what i was wanting to hear ,regards, Stuart