Engine Running Temperature.

Billypownall

Featured Posts

The Barrus engineer is at Narrowcraft next week.

We make a point of the factory man checking each new boat to ensure the installation is to Barrus's exacting standard.

He will check tick over speed, emmissions, temperature, charging, etc. etc.

This makes any potential warranty claims a mere formality as they will not fob us off with 'it must be the installation'.

The lower temperature on the calorifier is set so as not to scald yourself with the hot water.

Bargeeboy's comments are very reassuring as has been his reactions to things so far. However with regard to the thermostat on the calorifier this opens before the skin tank thermostat to warm the water quickly. The water temperature will then rise until the temperature set by the second thermostat. If the engine is running too cool it must be the fact that this second thermostat is set too low and not at 80C as in the handbook.All this of course assuming the water temporature gauge is reasonably accurate. My main question is does it matter whether the engine runs at 70C or say 85C which I would have thought was better.

. My main question is does it matter whether the engine runs at 70C or say 85C which I would have thought was better.

Co9ming with more experience with non-marine engines, it is generally better to aim to have the engine run around 85 to 90 deg C - partly from efficiency considerations and partly for helping the moisture boil out of the engine oil - coolant with anti-freeze in it will boil at several degrees over 100 deg C so there is still plenty of margin. However the two-calorifier system with one at around 70 deg C makes sense to avoid scalding risks

Nick

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I too have a Barrus 45HP.

My problem is that I hardly get a reading on the temperature gauge.

The engine runs very well and the calorified water gets very hot. So hot, that it pops the overload protection on the immersion heater in the calorifier. (I have had to turn this up to almost the highest setting to stop this)

I keep meaning to look at it but I have a cruiser stern with the engine tight against the bulkhead. This makes it almost impossible to get to the sender (and very difficult to change belts)

According to the manual, as well as a gauge on the delux panel, there is an overheating warning light. These connect to a water sender and a water switch on the engine block. It appears that if the water switch closes (earths) a buzzer sounds in conjunction with the warning light.

I presume that I can test the gauge by earthing the lead to the water sender. Should this give a full scale reading? Is there a way to test intermediate readings?

Is there any way to test the sender insitu? It would be probably easier to replace it that remove and test.

I should have got this sorted while it was still under warranty.

Thanks

Something like this infrared thermometer....

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?Module...y=20m4#overview

is invaluable for finding out what temperature various bits of your cooling system or hot water system are actually running at.

At the temperatures we are talking about it claims accuracy to within 2 degrees Celsius, which is clearly close enough for most practical purposes, and more accurate than most supplied engine temperature gauges.

You simply point it at your thermostat housing, where your temperature sensor is, any bit of your skin tank, or whatever, and get an instant reading.

Maplin do bigger and better models, but this one at fifteen quid is very affordable.

I just wish they had been freely available when we had overheating problems 3 years ago - they would have made diagnosis so much easier.

Something like this infrared thermometer....

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?Module...y=20m4#overview

is invaluable for finding out what temperature various bits of your cooling system or hot water system are actually running at.

At the temperatures we are talking about it claims accuracy to within 2 degrees Celsius, which is clearly close enough for most practical purposes, and more accurate than most supplied engine temperature gauges.

You simply point it at your thermostat housing, where your temperature sensor is, any bit of your skin tank, or whatever, and get an instant reading.

Maplin do bigger and better models, but this one at fifteen quid is very affordable.

I just wish they had been freely available when we had overheating problems 3 years ago - they would have made diagnosis so much easier.

Thanks for your information Alan I have sent for one of these sensors which I hope will help resolve my Barrus Shire's running temperature which I think is too low.

Edited by Billypownall