How to treat your batteries ?

Tonyl

Featured Posts

Has anyone got information to offer.

Assuming I have a newly built boat in July this year, and it has onboard 4 domestic batteries and a starter battery and shoreline power etc, what is the best way to go about caring for the batteries, bearing in mind I will not be living on board and only visiting when possible. Would I leave the shoreline permanantly connected, or will constant charging eventually destroy the batteries.

Any advice welcome based on your personal experience's etc.

Regards

Tony

Best bet is a battery management system if you're on shore line, the sterling kit is brilliant, just connect switch on and forget all about it. Around £120 for a 20amp unit. For 4 batteries I would go higher. It keeps your batteries in the best state of charge.

Probably many otter products, but this stirling unit is well proven.

http://www.yachtbits.com/sterling_power/st...er_supplies.php

The issues with the 20A Sterling unit for your batteries is that it is not large enough for 4 x domestics if you ever want a quick charge. You need a 50-100A amp unit. If you are just going to leave it sitting there for extended periods then a 20A charger will be OK from the current point of view but I believe the 20A version does not have an automatic desulphation cycle unlike its bigger brothers.

This is to counter the effect of leaving the batteries on float for long periods which is not altogether good for batteries. The larger Sterling units automatically switch back to the bulk, absorption and finally back to the float stage every 7-10 days if left untouched. This is to help prevent sulphation which would otherwise reduce the capapcity of your batteries.

Chris

Edited by chris w